Sunday, January 21, 2018

1/21/18 Mando The Investor?

    One day I am going to hug Monster Drink Guy, his conversations both piss me off and intrigue me.  He has a way of being annoying but always having a good point.  He came in Friday morning asking what I had planned for the weekend, I told him I was going to the boat show, I don't have a dime to my name but as soon as I free up some money, I want to look at getting another boat.  He winced like everybody else, said he had a boat once, it's fun, you go around the lake "wheeee", then what?  I said that's it, it's simple and fun, maybe do a little fishing, chill with people you like, family.  He said "oh yeah, you got a boat, everybody wants to join you, but nobody wants to pay for anything."  I said "yeah, I've had a boat before, I know how it works."
    He said take your money and invest it.  I said "First, I don't know how to invest it, Second, I don't have money to invest, I said I am just going to look at the pretty boats."  This is where it gets similar to talking to my brother, he says "just stop using your credit cards and pay for everything cash, man."  Yeah, "great advice, let me get out of debt first, then we can talk about that."  He continued poking, "even if you don't have money, you should start small and invest.  I said simply "how?"  He said "you had Fidelity or whatever through AMD or Spansion, they still exist, they'll invest for you."  Honestly, a light came on in my head, I had not had that thought before.  I went to Scottrade a few months ago and converted all my old stocks to cash and sold them.  That could have been the beginning of my investment life.
    I then came home and tried telling Wife about this, to which she spun off talking about bitcoin.  I gave her a sharp "Focus!"  I'm not talking about BS you have to solve math problems to get (I don't know how bitcoin works, but it sounds bogus).  I mean the good old stock market, where you pick stocks and see how they do.  I can start with a couple hundred dollars and see what happens.  She is already an expert because somehow or other she ended up with $5 of a bitcoin stock through a credit card offer and she sounded like a parrot who only knows "bitcoin" "bitcoin" "bitcoin".  That pretty much ended the conversation last night, we were headed to see Star Wars and we haven't had a chance to talk much, all of Boy's friends were here in the kitchen with us when she got here and then we rushed off to Pei Wei because she had a coupon for BOGO free plate.  Story of our lives, we ran to get the plates, they took a little too long, we took them to the movies, left them in the car, saw Star Wars, got home and microwaved it into a mediocre dinner at 1:30am.  But she got to use her BOGO free coupon.
    Maybe we can discuss this like adults today, if she mentions bitcoin, she is getting a finger in the butthole to reboot her, I am not discussing shit I don't understand, I read it lost 213billion dollars this week.  That is more than most companies are worth and this thing just exists online.  Maybe I should just stick to buying gold if I have extra money.

No comments:

Post a Comment