Tuesday, July 5, 2016

7/6/16 Debate, People Around Me Suck At It?

    I love a good debate, arguing without anger can be fun, and whether you are wrong or right ultimately, to argue without getting upset is a sign of intelligence.  My number one point to debate is religion.  I think believing in a higher power is akin to believing in Santa Claus.  Just because you want it to be real really badly, does not mean you are right. 
   My mom plays it clever, when she is done discussing something she blames herself as a failure "oh, what did I do wrong?  I don't know what I did to make my son not believe?"  I can hear in her tone, the acting, but it gets her out of any corner I might paint her into.  My brother, who is very intelligent but is not used to being challenged verbally will quickly turn to name calling and insults, insulting everything until he can claim a victory.  My sister will not join an argument for too long and usually just cusses to let me know she is done.  My younger brother who could actually be the best thinker in the family ruins a good debate by yelling all his thoughts out.  He kind of runs very low key and if you catch him off guard his first sounds are usually like an intelligent dog a la Scooby Doo.  Ask him anything at first and it's huimmm (from low to high), but get him going and he starts quoting all the nut jobs he listens to on his nightly shows.  It would be interesting if he could keep it at a 4-5, but he starts yelling and gets very involved.  Before you know it, you are in a storm of saliva and quotes from people you have to believe are true because he is so passionate about everything he says.
    Recently, I have poked at my mother in law on a couple of occasions, I know I shouldn't but I also don't like that in her mind everything good that has happened to us is because god is taking care of us.  I believe it is because I bust my ass, not because somebody upstairs waved their good luck charm at me. 
    Saturday night, we were in the midde of watching a movie when Boy showed up with his friends.  His female friend has taken to poking at the bear, me.  She wants to get into debates with me, but not really.   I am not sure if they like to hear us get animated, or if she thinks she is teaching me something, but I do hate the old let me explain something paint a picture and then ask for your opinion and the best you can do is say why not?  In a debate/argument that is basically the playground version of "I'm rubber you're glue, whatever you say comes back to you."  I want to hear your thoughts, this is not a classroom where I am going to spout for thirty minutes and you're going to write what I say down.  We are sparring, I say something, you come back with an example in your life where what I say does or doesn't make sense.
    Wife is the one I want to strangle.  She wants to dismantle the whole argument like a narc who shows up flashing her sirens.  She calls me a bully for pushing my atheist beliefs on people.  Once you say bully, anything I say forcefully is further proof I am being a bully.

No comments:

Post a Comment