Thursday, March 17, 2016

3/17/16 On The Fifth Day Of Spring Break, My True Love Gave To Me?

    An oil change for my truck.  Technology is great.  There was a time when we were supposed to change the oil in our vehicles every 3000 miles.  Then new synthetic blends of oil started coming out and they must really be better than regular old 10W-30 oil, because some of it can last for up to 7500 miles.  When I bought my truck, the sales lady giving me the tour said don't worry about changing your oil until you are at least below 20% on the life of your oil.  I had checked it a month or so ago, and it was at 30%, so I kept waiting for an alarm or an oil light to come on.  I figured 6500 miles was a good amount of mileage on the first load of oil, so we headed to Covert Hutto mostly because they offered me a $10 oil change and I figured it would be a nice drive for Wife and I to take alone.  Boy was working and Chubs has been in San Antonio for a couple days.
    When I got there, I met up with a service guy who said if I had read the owner's manual, the oil change could last as long as a whole year, when I expressed my concerns over wanting to change the oil.  I told him about the last time I had checked it, it had been around 30%.  He said in reality, the oil changes cost more like $50-$60.  The dealership eats the cost, because it is a good way to get a customer checking out the latest inventory.  I do love doing that.  I love the fantasy of what truck would I get if money were no object.  Of course, I kept choosing the trucks worth over $70,000.  I do love mine, but black is a little too common.  I would have loved choosing the dark red, with a dark brown a black line below, or the dark green looks really nice, with the two tone darker brown below.
    Of course, I wanted to get input from Wife for her next vehicle, and she spent quite enough energy spinning her wheels explaining she did not want a truck or a car.  That only leaves the SUVs and crossovers to consider.  We both liked the Edge and we both liked the Expedition but with the short ass.  Ford went all puss and did away with the Excursion because of the bad publicity of it being a gas hog, but it really survived as the Expedition XL.  The regular Expedition has very small space behind the third row of seats, but the third row is split and either side could be folded up to fit more luggage.
    After the oil change, we headed back south and I decided to take the 130 toll road, man you think 90 is fast until you get passed by all sorts of people.  The posted speed limit is 80, but people are hauling ass.  Girlie came back early from Florida vacation with her family and asked me to pick her up at the airport.  We got back so fast, in 20 minutes from up north, that I had time to run home, go to the bathroom, then head to the airport.  Google map said it would have taken 1hr and 20min for the same trip.  I really hope that toll road company goes bankrupt and we keep the roads for free.  I would love to see more people using them and not clogging up I-35 so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment