Monday, March 14, 2016

3/14/16 All We Do Is Eat On Vacation?

    This is still for Saturday.  After getting up early and going to eat breakfast with a bunch of annoying Austinites,  we came back home and I slept for a couple hours, got up, wrote yesterday's blog and went back to sleep.  I was woken around 6:00pm, as we were supposed to go to San Antonio to go eat with my in laws for my father in law's birthday.  The plan was that if I slept all day, I would not be sleepy driving to and fro.  That idea rarely works, a lazy shit just becomes a lazier shit, the more you let him relax.
    Anyways, we got to Pappasito's right at 8:00pm, which is when we had reservations for.  Pappasito's is the Mexican brand of the Pappa chains.  They have Pappadeaux for seafood, Pappa's Bros. Steakhouse, and like seven other restaurants.  For some reason we all stood inside like sardines against the wall.  I thought it was a little dumb to let us stand where every twenty seconds a different waiter was "excuse me" and walked by with a tray full of chips and salsa.  We were finally sat about 8:30pm. 
    Right away, there was confusion.  We had about three different guys claiming to be our waiter, but after taking our drinks, they must have gone outside to get high, or run home to take a break.  We ran out of tea, and chips and we never got our calamari, which we reminded a couple of the waiters, and they kept saying "I'll check on that".  Finally, one of them was in ear shot, and I said "how bout some more tea?"  He must have thought it a good idea as he slowly refilled everyone's drinks.  The food started coming a half hour later, and I had gotten to the point of joking with the waiter, "guess we don't deserve our appetizer, huh?"  This sent him running off, but not coming back with it.  I finally told the guy that bought our meals "we never got our calamari, I know it will be free (we had a coupon), but it still needs to make it to the table."  This vato was on the ball, as he made it appear in less than two minutes.  We then sat with our fajitas losing their sizzle on those skillet thingies and the waiters meandered through, again, "dude, some freaking tortillas, this shit is getting cold!"  That made him cough up the "dessert will be free that you hope for when things go to shit."  My nephew still held out hope for his calamari, even after he finished eating his meal.  He finally got an order which he enjoyed by himself because most people don't eat disgusting squid after they are full, it is kind of gross.
    I don't want to talk crap about the restaurant, the food, even a little cold, was delicious, but goddam it, I hate knuckleheads ruining things.  By the end, everyone got all their appetizers free, and most of us got desserts free.  The brownie with vanilla bean ice cream was just right.  Although I am still waiting for my coffee, I never got that.
    On the way back, I made it to Selma or past 1604 and onto I-35.  I started getting sleepy and Wife told me to pull over and she drove us home.  I was a little pissy, I had told her to stop at Buc-ee's and she made an executive decision and did not stop since Chubs and I were asleep.  I opened my eyes in San Marcos asking for Buc-ee's, and she did some voodoo and commanded me to go back to sleep and I did, but I slept angry.  It's a weird feeling when you close your eyes and wake up a block from your house but you don't recognize where you are at.

No comments:

Post a Comment