Thursday, March 10, 2016

3/10/16 The Kind Of Guy I Am Limits My Choices?

    I was just reading an article in Car and Driver about how hard it has become to make decisions on choosing a car, specially when you have no brand loyalty.  He said it is much easier when a guy is a Chevy guy or a Ford guy, then that narrows it down to what he is going to buy.  I like the additional comment that if a guy has a tattoo of a Camaro, he is probably not looking at other cars, but I think people are so stupid nowadays, that his skin art is not a limiting factor.
    I am one of those guys.  Somewhere in 7th or 8th grade, I decided I was a Ford guy.  My dad had bought a single cab F150 that went from grey to plum in color, my Mom reminded him he was a family man, and they promptly traded that in for a supercab brown F-150, maybe it was even an F-250, but I loved that truck, no doors for the back and only two little seats.  It was the truck I took Wife on our first date.  I then chose a 1991 Ford Ranger when I left home to come to UT.  The writer is correct.  I never looked at the other brands, when we went to the lot looking for the ad truck, selling for $7995, I had a choice between a bright red or a pale light blue.  Red it was.  Great little truck.  A few years later, and a pregnant wife, we went and leased a maroon F-150 Flareside, beautiful truck, Wife put over 70,000 miles in two years and put us upside down on the lease thing.  I traded it in for my first F-250, another Supercab, bench in the back, little suicide doors.  Then we got Wife an F-150 two tone truck which she drove for a couple years.  This was followed by an Expedition in 2002, then traded it in for my 2004 Excursion when I heard they were going to stop making them.  I then went big boy style and got another F-250 in 2008, but this one was loaded and had the crewcab seating with four full size doors.  Freaking Boy would not drive it, and so I had to take a step back and trade it in.  He was in love with the idea of a Jeep, so we found one, he is still driving it.  I just a few months ago went back and made things right for me, and got another F-250.  The only thing I left open to change was the color.  Black would never be my first choice for a vehicle, but it is beautiful and loaded.
    If it were up to me, Wife will be driving a Ford Taurus, or maybe a Ford Explorer, but she is giving me silly shenanigans, and keeps saying she wants a Kia Soul, or something small.  That would be great if we were small people, but we are XL humans, we need the size of the bigger vehicles.  Ford caved too easily with the Excursion and its monster size, but it is based on the F-250 truck and its engines, and they keep selling those trucks, you can see them everywhere.  Maybe if gas prices continue being so low, they'll come up with even bigger SUVs.  Have you seen the concept Ford Bronco?

No comments:

Post a Comment