Monday, December 7, 2015

12/8/15 Finally Changing Our Shopping Ways?

    Boy has been using Amazon and other online shopping sites for awhile.  I didn't want to trust them, but slowly Wife has pulled us into the new century.  Chubs has an obsession with Dr. Who and it would be very hard to find anything, if not for doing it online.  Online, she found a king sized comforter with the TARDIS and the matching sheets and pillow covers.  We also found a Dr. Who lamp for his room, a couple shirts and sweaters.  We would not have had so much luck at the mall.
    Boy considers it normal, just casually asks "where's my box?" anytime he orders crap.  I might be getting on this bandwagon soon enough.  I remember growing up, I was always scared to order stuff from magazines, thinking they just want my credit card or check, not realizing this was a way to conduct business.
    I did get two things by mail.  The first one was Sea Monkeys, in the back of the comic books they always looked so cool, with their underwater cities and on the pictures you could see a whole family of adult and baby monkeys.  Now that I am older and wiser, I realize they were brine shrimp and they can be halted in their egg cycle and kept dormant for long periods of time.  I never saw them grow or move around, but I was a kid, salt water at the time meant putting some table salt in water and hoping for the best.  Gradually the water turned brown and eventually my Mom just threw them away.
    The other thing a lot of us ordered by mail was cassettes.  Columbia House, get twelve cassettes for a penny and then just pay for about seven or eight more at regular prices.  It seemed like a great deal, and I may have even completed my obligation, but living in a small town, this was about the only way to get music in my hands, other than the tejano music from the local radio.
    If you spend anytime online, you can even notice the ads start becoming what you need.  I got my big truck and looked at some accessories, now at work, all the commercials and ads, like on Youtube, seem to be for truck accessories.  This is just evil, I love those steps that tuck into the truck when you are driving, but come down when you open the doors.  That would be a nice christmas gift Wifey O' Mine, just saying.  I say evil because I don't need ideas on spending money put in my head, I am already pretty good at spending a buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment