Thursday, December 10, 2015

12/10/15 At What Age Do You Make It All Real?

    I am atheist, this breaks my mom's heart, after she encouraged us to think freely.  Wife and I have been going around because I see Chubs taking the side of science more and more.  He says he wants to be a geneticist, I say that's a nice start.  On the other hand, he is still holding onto Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and God. This is cute, up to a point.  I don't want him in high school thinking all these imaginary things are real, yet Wife doesn't want me speaking up.  Boy took it kind of hard when we finally discussed the Santa issue.  I very simply told him do you really think you are that much more good than all your friends?  Come on, Son.  Your friends get one or two toys, you get tons of crap, and Santa is doing that?
    Last year Chubs started getting grumblings from his classmates, the little know-it-all-girls, "there is no Santa".  He was in fourth grade, we told him, be a tough guy, say Santa doesn't exist, that way you make sure he doesn't stop at our house, go ahead, save him a trip.  He played it on the side of caution.  He hasn't said anything this year, I think maybe he knows, he's just going to keep it to himself for awhile.
    I know I'm kind of a jerk for including God up in there with all the other make believe heroes, but... this is how I have felt for many years.  Up until recently I was respecting Wife and not making Chubs think, but if he is going to throw down with the religion, like it gets stuff done, I will have to challenge the boy.  It didn't take hardly any prodding on Boy, he is fiercely on my side now.  I told Wife, "fine, I'll let him wander around in the dark for a while longer, but at some point, I will turn on the light for the boy" and I am sure he will come around too.
    I just want people capable of thinking, to think.  It is not for everybody, but I will push you that way, and my Boys will hopefully follow in my steps.  Thought these were good:


YMCA sinner style!: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/00/29/4b/00294b8a2ecccb843b61a137819f5708.jpg
This life of yours is 100% your responsibility.:



No comments:

Post a Comment