Saturday, December 12, 2015

12/12/15 Like It Or Not, Semesters Happen?

    Boy just finished another semester, they seem to go faster and faster.  The good thing is we get to have him home for about five weeks, the bad thing is, we get to have him for about four weeks too long.  I love the Boy, but because he has his "own place", he carries an attitude that he is just a guest, and therefore, we shouldn't bother him too much.  We'll be fine in the beginning, but about when school starts up again, I will be fine with his butt headed back to school.
    Semesters are big markers though.  As long as he passes everything, each end of the semester brings us closer to him actually getting a degree.  As we feared, most of the kids he started going to college with, have stopped, or flunked out.  He is hanging with a stable bunch of kids, which I say thank goodness for that.  Part of the reason some kids don't advance is that they don't grow and change with who they associate with.  I still feel "tell me who your friends are and I'll tell you who you are." goes a long way to describing you.  If you hang out with a bunch of minimum wagers, guess what you probably are.  Hang out with a bunch of PhD candidates and again, guess what we expect you to be?
    Seems like just a couple weeks ago, we were talking about him being scared of a statistics class he needed.  Now that it ended, he says it wasn't the worst class he ever took.  Like a good little soldier, he doesn't have much time to think and reflect on what he just learned.  He already signed up for the next round of classes, there is a third calculus, a programming class, and I didn't catch the rest.  He did say his minor is in math now.  He mentioned a fourth calculus class, but I know there is more to math than calculus, oh yeah, some geometry class is in for next semester as well.
    What else can we ask of Mijo?  He seems to be in a zone.  He's rooming with some of his best friends, which I hope is making college life better.  Chubs has matured to a point that the two can kind of nerd out together.  They have almost identical interests, it is weird.  Wife said  "well Boy was never into Dr. Who."  He said he saw all of it in a couple weeks time a year ago.  He did enjoy it.  I almost wish I was more nerdy when I was their age.  I just didn't have access to all the internet, and bookstores, and the cosplay, and LARP'ing.  What an age we have come upon, like I said, the age of the nerd is upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment