Saturday, July 4, 2015

7/4/15 Independence Day?

    Today is the 4th of July, all it means for us is BBQ and fireworks, nothing to get excited about.  Maybe work shuts down some years, forces us to take a week off, maybe it doesn't.  We go with the flow, but we should remember that the 4th of July is a commemoration of the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, which gave the original 13 colonies freedom from England and thus created this great nation.
    I hate that instead of that, I think of the great speech by Bill Pullman as president in the movie Independence Day: 
 
Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!
 
This is when Will Smith was still hot in the box office, and nobody was snarkier than Jeff Goldblum, admit it, if you catch it on TV, you have to watch some of this movie, it is solid from start to finish.
 
Usually, we are with family on the 4th, last year we were in Corpus Christi trying something different, but the fireworks show done by the city was less than impressive.  This year we were going to go to Corpus again, but we just got back from our Florida vacation and there are new laws requiring RVs to get inspected before getting new license tags.  Plus the fact that I just sold my truck to my father in law, I don't really have a good tow rig, add to that my cough, which I finally went to the doctor for, and they thought either walking pneumonia or bronchitis, biggest symptom being that I am not getting as much O2 as I should, so they recommended rest, antibiotics, and lots of fluids.  I also got a letter from the city demanding I clean the pool, or face fines, so that's something else, and we still have to go empty rental house of stuff in shed, and some things up in attic.  I don't know when things will wind down, but hopefully, soon.
 
On a positive note, I am resting right now, Wife has a brisquet going in oven, and Boy went and bought Birdman which I have been wanting to see.  So maybe this 4th of July will be a little quiet, my peeps are here, Chubs was worried at doctor and keeps checking on me, making sure I'm still here and don't have the proverbial X's on my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment