Thursday, July 2, 2015

7/3/15 What Was Point Of Vacation?

    Now that I am back in my workstation, vacation is in the rear view mirror, Boy has run back to his apartment in San Marcos, what was point of "getting away" because "here we are".  I loved walking around with family spending money like it was going to go bad, but once back on Terra Firma in Texas, where we belong, was there a point?
    One of Boy's bigger discussions was that he wanted some "art" for his room, he found a painting he liked, at $350 he was going to need help.  Enter Daddy, I gave him $200 I was sort of hiding from Wife, as my money.  Boy all of a sudden got cold feet, and on his own decided he did not want painting after all.  I liked the idea of him buying something that might one day be worth more.  It was a weird painting of a scene as if a man drinking Scotch and smoking a cigar, had just finished reading a comic book of Wolverine.  It was weird and lame at the same time, but what do I know?  Would it have been a "good investment?"  Probably not, but who cares, when on vacation, we spend on stupid stuff, not on things that will make our lives better.
    For myself, I bought a new wallet, Coach, bright Yellow, tacky, but fun.  Another pricey thing for me was a white framed pair of Oakley Glasses, they just felt right on my head.  I didn't really buy anything else for myself, no shirts, utensils, key chains, although I could have.
    Chubs ended up with all sorts of toys and shirts and even his first Oakley Sun glasses, first leather wallet, first nice watch, Chubs had a great trip.  Boy talked me into a watch, saying it had been awhile, and constantly showing me $5000-$16000 watches.  When he finally showed me a $1500 Oakley watch, it seemed like a bargain and I fell hook, line, and sinker.  Surprisingly, he did not scam me into new Sun glasses as he could have.
    Wife, stoic as ever, never needs anything.  I was going to get her a purse in the yellow to match my wallet, but she said ughh, no.  I offered this and that, most stuff, she wouldn't even look at.  There was a whole section of Pandora with Disney specific pendant thingies, didn't even bother walking through with me to tell me no.  This is why I say she is my Turtle in a box.  Give her a little lettuce and water, she be fine.
    I guess if we measure by the material things we brought back, Chubs had the best trip, maybe Boy, with his watch.  If we measure by the number of times I said "dammit" maybe I had the best trip, or by who got the fewest hours sleep, I win again.  By the times Wife said "you don't need that shit", well, I win again...
    Truth be told, it was a very pleasant trip, I'm glad my in-laws ventured out of their comfort zone, if I helped get them there, then good, they deserve a little fun.  They are talking of doing it again, I'll be there, if they want me.  I guess getting away does put things in perspective, work is still there, they didn't die with or without me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment