Sunday, May 31, 2015

6/1/15 Golden Corral seemed like tiny Mexico?

    There is a new Golden Corral in South Austin.  I am a fat ass but I don't generally like buffet places.  My wife has gotten me thinking about all the exposed food and the kids hovering and touching all the good stuff.  I do, however, like checking out a newly opened restaurant and this one has only been open about two weeks.
    My folks are in town to try and get a new RV.  They had signed paperwork to trade in their old one, but they found out today theirs has extensive damage and now have to wait to do paperwork and put a claim in with insurance before they can take new one.  So, alas, it means they will have to wait one more week before they can take their new toy home.  They do love a buffet, as they always encourage us to hit the Chinese buffets here or especially in Corpus Christi when we hang out. 
    I suggested going to the Golden Corral after they showed up and we went and showed them the smaller home and all its improvements.  A quick and heavy thunderstorm made us go and find shelter at the Lowe's, plus I needed more light switch caps since I had decided to replace all with new crispy white ones.  By the time we got out, Dad was running on fumes and we needed to eat or I risked having to carry the big baby.
    First of all, it was over $40 for 2 adults and 1 child, I thought cost was excessive, then we had to wait inside the restaurant after paying.  They have chairs where you can see the "mongolian grill" while you wait.  They have many sections/rooms to divide the people up, but man!!  There were just too many people eating there.  I guess I didn't realize we were eating so close to dinnertime for the masses.
    I know it's south Austin, but it seemed like we were transported to some exotic Mexican local, nothing but beaners up in there.  It doesn't seem like that in Southpark Meadows and that is only a mile away.  We got same feeling there as in that China Harbor Chinese buffet next to Academy on William Cannon.  We eat out pretty much every day after school in one of the Southpark Meadows places and generally it is mixed well with all types of peeps.  Golden Corral was very specific in the clientele.  Maybe Mexicans love a good buffet, or maybe they are targeted with special coupons sent to any Martinez, or Perez, or Garcia in the area.  It doesn't make sense, because it wasn't cheap.
    Oh well, once bitten, twice shy.  We shan't be visiting Golden Corral for a few fortnights.  We'll go in a couple months, maybe it was just the newness attracting so many peeps.  A lot of people were dressed in Sunday best, a kid was in his cap and gown, so somebody was graduating. 
    All I remember is being very full, we rushed home, I pooped and showered and was in a food coma by 7:45pm.  Wife kept trying to get me up to go to movies, but no.  When you put in 70-80 hrs a week, something's got to give.  I woke up around 10pm, Boy started texting, he is halfway home.  His skinny ass should be home tomorrow, maybe he'll start cleaning up his room.

No comments:

Post a Comment