Wednesday, May 6, 2015

5/6/15 Rental House Is Now Empty?

    Our rental house is now empty.  The renters came over Sunday night and handed over a handful of keys.  Our goal now is to make that house new-ish again for us.  My first goal is to get the carpet replaced because we didn't meet a renter who couldn't live without a dog or two or four.  I'm sorry people, but those of you who have dogs inside the house, have houses that smell like dog.  All the Febreeze in the world can't hide it. 
    Next on the agenda will be to install a new water heater, mostly because the one in the house is now 18-19 years old.  Our neighbors there had their water heater burst while they were gone or something and the whole house had to be gutted due to water damage.  I am leaning towards getting a tank-less water heater, specially since they are making a big deal of the new water heaters being bigger and not fitting in the same size closet as before.
    After these two things which Home Depot can handle with relative ease, I am thinking of switching out A/C heater unit.  Furnace broke last winter and luckily it never got that bad this winter.  We were told unit was so old, they didn't stock parts for it.  And since A/C is also going on twelve years or so, I figure we can swap them out, along with ducts, as I fear it might be full of dog hair and dander.
    Wife has thoughts of upgrading the kitchen.  I like idea too, but I am hoping this can wait a couple months, as I really want to close the garage and make it a large den area, maybe place the pool table as a centerpiece.
    I am sure I don't want another pool, but I would like a hot tub sometime in the near future.   I want to build a big sun blocker of some kind to enjoy being outside on a regular basis with a large grill of some kind.
    We'll see if we can get it right.  Either we do all the improvements or I'll be getting whiny and looking to move again in a few years.  That is part of the fun, though.  Sometime back, we were nomads, we roamed the countryside, looking for food and shelter.  I don't think that can be removed out of our DNA.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a plan now that Wifey got you to change your mind! Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be quite frustrating when your furnace breaks down for no reason. But at least you've got ample time to deal with all the potential problems, or secure a replacement, if need be. Anyway, if you think that a replacement is the most cost-effective solution, then I say go for it! Cheers!

    Jodi Bennett @ Marsh Heating

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say go for it. It seems like the best time to do it, since you’re already planning to change a few things anyways. It would be good to get the water heater, furnace and AC unit replaced first, since those are basically your essential utilities. In any case, I hope you get everything done before your wanderlust kicks in again. Good luck!

    Dennis Cannon @ Laird And Son

    ReplyDelete