Saturday, May 30, 2015

5/30/15 All This Rain Reminds Me of Mudding?

    This is a true story from way back before Wife and the Boys.  I was in high school, sophomore year I believe and was pretty much driving daily by myself.  It had to be 1986 and during fall, more to the point, after band practice.  It had been raining like it has been and some of the roads down in our small town were not paved and became messy slosh pits during any kind of downpour.
    Enter my friends who were getting a ride by Mr. Cool, driving a 1979 Mercury Cougar, two door but I bet about as long as a modern day Excursion.  The car was actually cool for the time, a two door white square of a car with an orange interior, vinyl I'm pretty sure my folks weren't upgrading to leather back in the day.  I don't know how the tables got turned but I was driving the family car and my mom was driving an F150, maybe it was even an F250 with the supercab and the thin bench in the back seat.  I remember that truck was a compromise after my dad had come home with the coolest truck that we never owned.  It was a Ford truck with just a bench, maybe bucket seats and flareside.  I want to say it had a grey to purple hue with a red interior although my mom got rid of that truck quicker than quick.  We were a family of four and possibly even six by then and the silly old man is bringing home a bachelor type truck.
    Anyways, I digress.... back to my cool car.  After band practice we were leaving and one of the roads leading away from the school was all mud for the length of maybe two football fields, one of the idiots in the back said go through it, and the idiot sitting in the front thought it a good idea.  I got about halfway in, you know the point you can't stop and turn back and the water was up to the doorwell, I panicked and headed to an empty lot thinking the mud is better than water.  My superior driving skills soon got the car to a complete stop.  You can only turn the steering wheel so much and go back and forth before you end up submerged.  There were no cell phones but my folks showed up rather quickly, and in the end I had to be towed out by some 4x4.  There was a foot of mud in the car and they left it up to me to clean it out.  I remember taking out the seats and even the carpet came out so I could get everything washed out.  I learned that day, that all my vehicles should be 4x4, because I can be an idiot at the drop of a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment