Tuesday, May 19, 2015

5/19/15 Is TV The Bad Guy?

    We were watching Scorpion tonight and I noticed something disconcerting.  The episode was from a couple weeks ago on our list of recorded shows.  This episode had a crazed man working in a building where they make nerve gas, sarin gas, which pops up in the news enough to be a name the lay person would recognize as bad.
    Without going any further Wife paused it and I told her this has to be a middle eastern guy, he lost his family or loved one to an attack and it's payback time.  Fast forward five-ten minutes into the show and they find the guy, who surprise surprise is from Baghdad and his wife just died after fighting for 16 years to survive an attack with the nerve gas.  The "geniuses" found this within two minutes of looking at him acting suspicious, HR didn't have this info?  Why would you hire someone from a war torn country in such a highly classified place of employment?  It bothers me because at the beginning of the show, they state these are cases taken from real life of the main character Walter O' Brian.
    My point though is that even now that our invasion of Baghdad by Bush never did produce anything, we will keep being reminded by TV that middle eastern people are to blame somehow.  It can't stop, "we" love our shows which show us daily heroes, be they cops or doctors.  The Avengers can't save the day from aliens and robots every day, most of the time, the drama we watch is just normal people saving lives, which means we need an enemy.  It is easy to make the enemy one we have become comfortable accepting, wrong but easy.
    My son Chubs asked me if I could get one wish granted would I ask for peace on earth, I laughed and told him no, we need wars, humans have always been at war.  We suck as animals on the planet, I told him Ultron is probably right, then we switched to talk of the Matrix which he hasn't seen, that made me happy because it is such a kick ass movie and he hasn't experienced the action sequences.  The robots in that series also decided us humans are a virus on the planet and all we do is consume, but what are you gonna do?  Do you know Kung Fu?

No comments:

Post a Comment