Thursday, February 5, 2015

2/5/15 Hollywood, Where Art Thou?

    What has happened to the movies?  I used to get excited about idea of going to the movies.  It was something we did quite a bit when we were first married.  I even tolerated Wife needing bucket of popcorn and we would share a jumbo soda (she would get a sip, I would drink rest, still sharing) and Boy would get the kid's pack with some nachos or a hot dog.  It was fun, we'd go during the week, or a matinee, I even remember going to the crappy dollar theater, it was on Ben White somewhere.
    Rewind to seven years ago, we were in Florida on vacation and went to see one of the big summer blockbusters, maybe the first Transformers in a theater that also served food.  OMG, I think that experience ruined regular movie going for me.  Sure, I remember coming out kinda complaining that the whole affair had been close to $100 for the four of us, but it was awesome.  Waiters bringing food, keeping our drinks full, a table between the rows to keep people even more separated, nirvana.  We finally found the experience here in town at the Alamo Drafthouses.  I would hear people talking of the place, but I don't really drink and that is what they would say "you can eat and have a beer".  Great, I want to watch movies with my family and some drunks.  When we finally went, one opened close enough to the house, on Slaughter Lane, it was a gamechanger.
    The other theaters became extinct to me.  We did go and watch 21st Jump Street with friends when it came out, but it was like going to a football game, people were rowdy in the theater, our friends themselves were on their phones almost throughout the movie.  It was really a contrast to watching a movie at Alamo Drafthouse.  They taunt you in the beginning, go ahead, take your phone out, see how fast we throw you out.  People are quiet and serious about their movie watching.
    To make things even better, last summer, Boy got a job there.  Not only do they pay well, he gets perks, like getting us in for free, and our food is like 50% off.  We can go the four of us, all of us eat a burger or pizza, drinks, popcorn and a pretzel or two and the bill comes out to about $50.  Can't beat that.  Only problem is Boy has become one of those movie nazi types.  He does not have a problem shushing mom and dad if we make a comment during the movie.  And don't laugh too hard, he might fill out a card himself to get the attendants to remove you.
    First time he took us I thought oh man, we'll be here all the time now, but really, he has only taken us maybe 6 times, that's less than once a month.  He does have friends and the little Crapper does seem to prefer taking them, and that's ok, like I said, there just aren't many movies I do want to see, plus they come out so fast, before I realize, they are on DVD and we just order them through Netflix. I just love first world problems, waah, I watch most of my movies at home.  Poor me, poor us.

No comments:

Post a Comment