Wednesday, February 11, 2015

2/11/15 House In The Hills?

    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."


    We killed a Sunday afternoon by going for a country cruise.  I could not do this without having some sort of point, so we went looking for houses.  I am almoost trying to convince myself that we need to move, of course, after hearing a friend of mine talking about getting a new house built.  I hate the idea of moving, it is a huge pain, but people do it all the time.
    Our country cruise took us towards The Salt Lick in Driftwood and the community was Rim Rock or something like that, all acreage homesites, but also all above the $400,000 point.  Those houses were beautiful though, with outdoor kitchens in the patios overlooking open hill country, or crazy layouts with wings in the house for the kids to hang out in their own "living rooms" outside their bedrooms.  I loved that house, instantly, but it was over $550,000.
    We went out there because there was a housebuilder out there building on I-35 with a plan that includes an apartment as part of the house.  Wife loves this idea to keep Boy around longer.  It has its own kitchen, washer/dryer, living area and bedroom, along with a bathroom.  This is the kind of idea that would get my wife excited about moving.  I found the rest of the house a tad small, but still liked the idea.
    As much as I would love the idea of living in the hill country, it would take me over an hour to get to work, and that is too far for me.  It would make my wife's commute even farther, so it is just a dream for now.  But maybe someday.
    Wife started on about the prices, my thought is what do you expect?  People are not going to stop coming from out of state, there is a limited amount of land, prices can't do anything but go up.  We at least have two properties in town.  I am starting to think, maybe even our starter home could one day sell for $200k.  I might be fantasizing right ow, but it is very much in town, only two miles or so from Ben White.  Most new building is going on in the surrounding cities, there just isn't much space here in Austin.
    We'll see, I am not going to jump into anything right now.  We are in a good position, so I think we'll wait and see.

1 comment: