Friday, February 13, 2015

2/14/15 Songs That Make You Go Waah?

    How come some songs turn us to slobbery crying messes?  I was only half listening today and I turned it up to Some Nights by Fun.  Song is 2-3 years old.  The lyric part that gets me is:

so this is it.  I sold my soul for this?
Washed my hands of that for this?
I miss my mom and dad for this?

Not even sure why, but those lines tear me up instantly.  Other songs do that too.  How about Alone Again by Gilbert O'Sullivan?  Just the jingle tears me up, but it's a simple song designed to make you cry, left at the alter, contemplating suicide, his dad died, his mom died.  Alone Again indeed.
      Another one that has that one line that hits me is Wino and I Know by Jimmy Buffet.  

And the wino and I know the joys of the ocean,
Like a boy knows the joys of his milkshake in motion

Maybe it's knowing the innocence of the boy is fleeting.  Maybe I envision Chubs doing that and Boy already too old and too cool to just sit in kitchen and be a kid.
    Another Jimmy Buffet song is Captain and the Kid.  This one is about an old man and a grandson I guess, and I can envision my dad retiring from truck driving:

His world had gone from sailin' ships
to rakin' mom's backyard
He never could adjust to land
although he tried so hard

And of course, my wife's favorite song to mess with me, Cat's In The Cradle by Harry Chapin.  I do admit that I work a lot, but if I'm not at work, I am home.  I don't have hobbies or friends I go meet around town.  But she knows the guilt I carry, because of my insistence on working more than normal.  Everyone knows this song, I assume is why I don't even show any lyrics.
    If you feel like a good cry, go ahead, listen to all of them.  If you don't end up with snot running and eyes red, you're probably a cyborg, stick a D size battery in your recharge port.

No comments:

Post a Comment