Sunday, February 15, 2015

2/16/15 I Might Be A Shitty Parent, But I'm Trying?

    I can't call myself a good parent.  I let my boys stay up late on the weekends, we eat stuff that's probably not good for you, I spoil them in every way possible, but there are worse people out there.  I don't want to stand on a soapbox and preach what is right and wrong, but some things bother me terribly.
    I go pick up Chubs every day after school, this because Boy had friends who would ride the bus and he would tell us the older kids would offer him drugs, or occasionally kick his butt when they got off.  I made the decision that even though it breaks up my sleep (I work nights), I'll go get them after school.  Anyways, we have a good time, we usually eat at one of the local eateries here in Southpark Meadows, we live in South Austin.  What bothers me is some of the other parents just seem to suck.  There is a dad who walks to the school, must live close by, and he has two younger kids.  I don't know if it's a cultural thing or if this guy is just a badass, but he walks about ten yards in front of his kids, sometimes on the phone, but not always.  How are you keeping an eye on the kids when they are not even in your periphery?  The little girl must be two or three, she walks fine, but it makes me nervous.  How is he so sure the kid is going to stay on the curb?  Is he not worried a car slows down and kidnaps the little girl?  He just has buffoon written all over him.  Jackass.
    Another situation I've encountered at the school, again in this after school time slot is the angry parent who decides she is going to yell at the kids assigned to crossing guard duty.  Does it make you feel superior to yell at a ten year old?  Those poor kids aren't getting paid, and they might save your shitty child from some day getting run over.  What's your rush, you gotta get home and finish watching your novelas?  A-hole.
    I also have a problem with parents that overprotect their kids.  I've always said when my kids go off with another family, do what you gotta do, spank his ass if he gets disrespectful.  We have a friend who is always fighting with the school her kid goes to.  Hmmm, if your kid already has a juvenile probation officer, is it possible sometimes, maybe once, that it's your kid that's being the ahole?  Why would an entire school district have it in for your spawn, nobody is that important.  Teachers don't get paid to babysit, they get paid to teach.  Every time we talk to her, "so and so at the school was saying this and that about my kid..., so of course I went in there and yelled at everybody".  Oh that is classy.  She is not a fan of punishing her kids, wants to be friends with them.  Ughhh.
    I love my boys, tell them every day, but I am very firm on the fact that I am not your friend.  I tell them this all the time.  I am your parent, and as much as I love you, I will come down on you with great fury if I find out you are out there being an idiot wasting people's time.  Your job right now is to get as smart as possible so you can be useful to society in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment