Tuesday, February 24, 2015

2/25/15 Boy Has Flown The Coop?

    Boy has kind of found a way to move out, sort of.  He has friends at Texas State and they have a spare room.  He goes and stays with them 2-3 nights a week already, but so far, he sleeps on the sofa, as a guest.  They offered him the room at a reduced price, since he would only be there during the week.  He mentioned this at the start of the school year.  We kind of liked the idea so he doesn't have to drive on the freeway so much, but it means we don't see him.
    We were kind of ignoring the request by saying we couldn't be paying the $200 a month they wanted, but we also felt a little guilty that our son was staying there anyway.  My mom and dad offered to pay $100 of the amount to help him out.  As soon as we told him this, he started packing his Jeep.  He took an old smaller desk for his PC, a lamp, his PC, two monitors,some toilet paper and some clothes.  He said he was fine sleeping in his sleeping bag until we help get him a bed over there.
    My mom keeps poking me that I should be sad, my baby is moving out, but I see it as a positive thing.  He can now experience more of the university lifestyle, he is no longer miserable like he was when he was attending ACC, and he'll be coming home on the weekends.  He still works at Alamo Drafthouse, he needs to come up to do that.  We'll see how long this lasts.
    I told him, if you end up with shitty grades, you will find yourself back home, and that will be that.  I know they don't party with alcohol and that stuff, but they do get on video game campaigns that go on for hours.  Sometimes, we call at him, and the look on his face, is like he has been awake for two days, all edgy, snapping "what do you want?!?"  He will need to develop some serious self discipline, and quick.
    We kind of started kicking around the idea of selling our house and moving back to our first house. The costs of living in this huge house has me questioning everything right now.  We could potentially take the profits of this house and pay off our credit debt and most of the remaining mortgage of our other house.  We could then be living on my wife's salary, and putting mine away to buy me a Cessna.  I know that is a ridiculous idea, but I still find it interesting.  Boy said if we do this, then he will just stay with his friends full time.  decisions, decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment