Tuesday, February 17, 2015

2/18/15 People That Live Like Misers Suck?

    My mother in law was telling us a story about a friend of my father in law.  Apparently, he was a well to do dean who lived on the poverty level.  He drove one after another POS station wagon.  Lived in a small rented house, until the wife passed and the landlord said he had to move out.  Now he is living at a relative's converted garage.  This is a man who was making a six figure salary for over twenty years.  She then filled us in that on their spare time they sold knick knacks at garage sales on the weekends.  Now, in his 60s, he has lost his wife and has nothing to show.
    I understand when this happens with unemployables, people that refuse to work within our American economy.  Their life makes sense, you give nothing, you get nothing.  They of course, tend to whine, bitch, and moan that life is unfair to them, somebody owes them for the fact they got out of bed.  This man is not the same, he worked, he should have money and comfort that comes from said money, he shouldn't make his peers feel pity for him.   That is where the breakdown happens for me.  My FIL is left feeling sorry for him, when in reality this man probably has most of his money socked away in a bank.
    Some of you would say "he has a right to save his money for a rainy day".  Ok, but then life happens and the wife dies, who is he going to enjoy his success with (success being the compensation he got for working a high level job)?
    I just read this past week of a janitor who left $8 million dollars to the local library and hospital, awesome for the library and hospital, not so much for him.  He could have taken some trips, he had family he could have helped.  He made his money investing, and great, but along the way, take a minute and remember why you are trying to make the extra money. 
    Maybe I'm too focused on my family, I don't see a reason to do anything extra if "we" don't benefit.  My only goal is to bring in more money so we can enjoy more out of life.  My job as a parent is to provide for my progeny infecting the world with Gallegos awesomeness.
    On a side note, as my wife was half joking, my father in law's friend will end up remarrying and that wife will end up enjoying all the sacrifices made by the first wife.  She'll be the one with the boob job, and the gaudy gold jewelry, maybe the cheesy convertible.  It's a fine line, I hate a controlling wife, but if this is the alternative, the wife needed to be stronger and tell this mental midget to quit it and spend some money now.  Wouldn't surprise me if this jackass buried his wife in a pine box to save on costs, meanwhile, he's sitting on a million bucks in the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment