Saturday, July 2, 2022

7/2/22 I Can't Drive 55?

     I find it hard to believe we used to live in a time when 55 was considered highway speed.  Shoot, we end up driving 55 in town going back and forth running errands without noticing sometimes.  Today, we finally got on our vacation and headed out of town to the coast.  It felt great once we got on I-37 and being able to just open it up and gobble that highway at today's speeds.  I don't want to implicate myself, but it sure felt like we were going faster than 90 at times while getting between big cities.

    There is absolutely nothing interesting between San Antonio and Corpus Christi, except some lonely road that begs to be sped upon.  We were doing great most of the way, until we got to the George West exit, which was being monitored by three separate highway patrol officers.  I know they don't see it, but they are actually the danger.  Left alone, we all drive at our own comfortable speeds and don't bunch each other up.  The minute we see a trooper though, we slow down for fear of a ticket, and that just makes everyone drive bumper to bumper fashion.  This is extremely annoying and slows down the high pace we all want to drive.

    As I have said before, I tend to get sleepy when we head out of town and specially when I eat.  In order to keep myself awake, I told Wife we would eat when we got into Corpus, which was fine with her, if it kept me driving.  Driving that fast also keeps me alert and does not allow me to get comfortable to the point of drowsiness setting in.  I am pretty sure we left Austin at 1:00pm and were in Corpus by 4:00pm.  Maybe it took another 30 minutes to get across town to the Flour Bluff area, but I can live with that, the boring part is driving slow on an open highway.  For a few minutes, we did get down to 59, and compared to what we had been driving, it felt like we were going 30, it was super frustrating.  The slowdown was due to a couple of big trucks trying to pass each other.

    It all worked out pretty well.  Right as we drove into town, we got the email and text with the door code to the condo, so we were able to drive right to it and walk in.  We had already paid online, so there was pesky check-in, we just took out stuff from the car to the condo unit and then we were off to get food for the next 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment