Friday, July 9, 2021

7/9/21 Becoming The Main Cook?

     I had a good run, I guess.  I went from living at home where Mom cooked all the meals, except for the occasional BBQ when Dad would burn some meat outside.  This was then followed by living with a roommate who enjoyed cooking and as a result I was relegated to washing dishes most every night, but at least I didn't have to cook.  During my early years of marriage and up until the past year, Wife has been the cook at the house and I was never intending to change that, but it still happened.

    With my discovery of the pellet grill, I have become more in control of what we eat.  This started when I insisted on figuring out how to make a good brisket completely on my own.  I "mastered" this a few months ago and that somehow led to Wife letting me handle the dinner meal almost every day, if I have time.  There was a time I couldn't be trusted to boil water, I had zero confidence cooking and honestly, I was alright with that.

    I'm not even sure if it was the pellet grill that made me more confidant or that Wife started her new job and comes home after putting in a twelve hour day, so it is the least I can do to contribute around the house.  Most weeks I make a pretty big Saturday or Sunday feast and then we eat through Monday or Tuesday night, but since I am off this week and Wife is working, it's been on me to have dinner ready (or be sent to bed early by the boss lady).

    We left a little later than we planned on Monday from a visit to my folk's, and we had promised Baby A we would eat at Sea Island which is behind the Buc-ee's in New Braunfels, so those were the dinner plans on Monday night, but I have been pretty much living in the kitchen ever since.  I grilled some sirloin steaks that had been in the freezer a little long and were starting to get that weird darker color on Tuesday.  I refuse to let meat go to waste unless absolutely necessary, specially with today's prices.  We then ate chicken thighs on Wednesday with a little broccoli on the side Wednesday night, both meals cooked quickly on the pellet grill.  Yesterday, I took a couple of small, less than two pounds each brisket pieces and decided they would smoke and be ready in 3-4 hours because of their size.  I put them in before 3:00pm and took them out at 6:30pm.  The meat was very lean and maybe a little tough, but the brisket flavor was all there.  I cut it thinly and it turned into the right amount for the four of us.  I added some sausages, because brisket and sausages go together.

    I think I have been given a "get out of jail free" card today as Wife said we should go to dinner tonight, and she is supposedly getting out a little early.  It is bullshit that I asked her if everyone is getting out early as she was leaving at 5:45am and she says well, it's only me and 1 other lady showing up.  Why the fuck make people go to work if no one is going to be there, that is fucking stupid?  But Wife just started, so she couldn't plan it out to not be there.  Whatever, I don't blame her, but bureaucracy is a bloated pig sometimes, with all its rules and no concept of logic and sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment