Friday, July 16, 2021

7/16/21 A/C was fixed And More?

     Wife called the Fox when she noticed the unit upstairs was not working.  It even gave us an error code which we gave them so they would show up with the right parts and stuff to fix it as quick as possible.  The lady from Fox told Wife to not worry about the error as long as the unit kept running, they would send someone Thursday, unless it stopped working, then they would rush someone over.  It stopped working, so I called them in the morning and by 1:00pm their service guy was here.  He was a bit funny in that he called me and started explaining what the error code was and getting very technical, about input/output signals and changing out the control board on the air handler.  It almost sounded like he was giving me directions to fix it myself and I just said "uhhh, I'm here, come do what you do, I'll look over your shoulder so I can fix it next time."  I liked this guy, he said he was a supervisor and had been doing this work for 20+ years.  He determined the float switch which keeps an eye on the drain tube in case it backs up (it will send a signal and turn off the tool so we don't get water damage like the previous system did) was connected to the circuit board at the wrong spot.  The error it gave then was incorrect based on the float switch turning off and sending the signal to the wrong part of the board.  This to me seems like a real technical snafu but I am glad this guy caught it quickly.  He rewired the circuit board and then tested the float switch and finished by pouring vinegar down the drain tube (used to be we would use bleach but the chlorine can destroy the internal parts if it gets backed up and comes into contact with other A/C parts.

    While Wife was outside checking the units on Tuesday evening, she noticed two vent holes which I hadn't thought existed or bothered to look.  But below them is quite a bit of bird poop and we have noticed a lot of bird noises in the ceiling above the wash room, which is inside the house past the bathroom, so it's not that the birds were out on a tree.  Since now I can see the bird poop and know how they are getting in, I ordered some metal mesh which goes over these type of vents, I think it is the exhaust for the bathroom vent and washroom vent, they both have vents that can be turned on.  I am guessing once I block the place where they are getting in, they will either be trapped inside and die of hunger or trapped outside and they can fuck off.  I don't want to be mean to the birds, but like the squirrels, if you move into my house, prepare to die or pay your fair share.

    Now I just have to figure out where the pool is leaking now.  That flex tape worked for a bit, but I think it failed after about a couple weeks.  The water is now below the pool light, and since I replaced the Flex tape with putty that hardens on all the returns, it has to be around the pool light hole, but that hole is a good 3-4 inches in diameter, so I need a good solution before I attempt to repair it.  Maybe I'll get Boy to make me a fiberglass patch, he did work quite a bit with it when he was making those rockets in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment