Thursday, July 8, 2021

7/8/21 Another Oil Change?

     Wife can add up the miles quickly, I think it is worse now that she is commuting to San Antonio.  This is the main reason I wanted an extra car and the Escape has been doing a pretty good job as our mileage car.  Like everything though, it needed servicing, namely an oil change, which I prefer to do at the dealerships.  I was fine going to Jiffy Lube's until they got ridiculous and tried to say an oil change now costs $80, fuck them.

    Anyways, I dropped off the car and did a little walk around the dealership, which I usually do, I like looking at the inventory and imagining myself in whatever SUV and trucks are there.  Out in the back that used to be filled with row upon row of trucks, they had two F-250 trucks, a red and a blue one.  Both were basically $70,000.  This is a lot but at least they are new.  I then walked around to the front of the dealership and they had a handful of trucks there as well and a few were of the STX variety, which is their most cost conscious product line and I can at least happily say that if I needed to get an F-250, I could at least get one of these for around $50,000.

    The ridiculous prices were reserved for the used trucks they had on the lot.  I don't care how expensive they started, a used truck should not be $60,000 for a 2017 truck with 70,000 miles.  Even more ridiculous was the 2019 F350 for a whopping $83,988.  I can almost buy into this delusion if it is new and has zero miles, but this is used, has fart smells buried in the seats from a stranger, somebody probably had sex somewhere on the truck and these yahoos want to sell it for more than the cost of a new comfortably loaded truck?  They must have gotten hit on the head with a stupid stick.

    Life swings on a pendulum and if we just wait a bit, prices will come back down.  I noticed the used lot was loaded with a bunch of F-150 trucks (53 per website) and another 13 Super Duty trucks.  This doesn't include the handful of Dodge and Chevy trucks mixed in.  I think we will have a glut of inventory soon, thanks to idiot Biden letting gas prices get out of control, and then I will have a choice whether to buy new as they panic to sell trucks that give you poor mileage or used, which are supposed to save the consumer money by buying something that is supposed to have depreciated on someone else's credit.

    I don't know ultimately what will happen, but I am glad we bought the Escape when we did, at $11,000.  It seems like such a steal, I think we bought just before this whole skyrocketing prices began.

No comments:

Post a Comment