Sunday, July 11, 2021

7/11/21 Sure Is Good Weather We're Having?

     It has been another weird head scratcher, as far as the weather we've been having so far this summer.  While both the east and west northern coasts are burning up with record heat, we have had many days here in Texas where we don't even break into the 90's.  I couldn't believe the last time I got in the car and the temperature outside was still 79 in the afternoon.  We are now almost halfway through our summer months (June-August) and I don't think we have had a proper 100 degree day yet this year, maybe it's gotten there for an hour or two, but I don't think we have had many scorchers where it is 100 degrees from noon until 6pm.  I know it's premature to think this will be a cool summer, but there was at least one summer, in 1987, when Austin did not have a recorded 100 degree day.  We can dream, at least.

    More than anything, this has probably contributed the greatest to our light bill staying so low.  We have had three months of bills like $56, $66, and recently, the light bill was like $130.  I guess the solar panels are finally doing their part, even if it has been cloudy most days.  Nothing is guaranteed, but looking at the 10 day forecast, the temperatures for a high are all in the low 90s with around 25% chance of rain most days.  I do like it cool like that, but I do have to admit that stepping outside is like getting hit with a warm soup almost immediately, as the humidity is out of control with all the moisture in the air.  I am just glad my job keeps me indoors other than driving to work.  I also like that we can go in and out of our building's doors and don't have to do that ridiculous walk all around our campus anymore.

    Last I looked, even Canada is in a heat wave, looking at temps going to 121 this week, some 400-500 people have died in the past week and heat is the main factor.  Oregon had multiple record heat days, recording a high of 117 and at least 63 deaths in the past week, succumbing to the heat.  New York is also hitting record highs, recording 100 at La Guardia airport and 102 in Newark, New Jersey.  This is certainly a weird instance, but I don't think we will make fun of them like they were laughing at us when we were sitting in a frozen tundra in February here in Texas for a week.  Currently, up to 1700 residences are sitting without power, so even if their homes have A/C, they are sitting in heat and waiting for mother nature to have bring some relief.

    This is why I invested in my generator and smaller room A/C.  I don't want to even feel the pressure and discomfort of the environment if our man made comfort tools start to fail, on a grand scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment