Wednesday, July 7, 2021

7/7/21 Maybe The New Air Conditioners Do Run Better?

     We installed new air conditioners back in November after we noticed the upstairs was not being kept at the right temperature.  All summer last season was kind of a pain in the ass, it was barely cool but at night we could feel the heat from the attic bearing down on the bedrooms.  I guess I just accepted that as normal, but Boy tried fighting it by installing his own separate room air conditioner and he is one that is always cold.  Well, in November we noticed a big water stain on the garage ceiling and we traced it to the condenser unit or whatever the part of the central A/C sits in a closet in the house.  It was frozen over and water was all over the wood.  I got in there and dried it with towels and then called Fox Services.  I know they are not the cheapest service but we tried other people, like when we had a leak with the water heater, and it seemed we were way over charged, but who knows. I trust Fox, they do good work and I have peace of mind.

    The technician said we could fix it and it would be good for a season or three, but at some point we would be better off replacing the then 13 year old unit and probably the one downstairs too.  I didn't want to spend that kind of money, for both units, replaced with the latest and greatest systems that are supposed to be super energy efficient was right around $25,000.  My mom had replaced their unit for $10,000 a year or two earlier, so the price made sense to me.  Of course, Wife's brother "ALWAYS" tells me shit like I could have found you a new system for $3,000 but I pretty much just ignore stuff like that, I am never that kind of lucky.

    We replaced the units and the new ones are beauties, standing almost 5 feet tall, even my nosey neighbor told me "oh, you got them good systems, I used to install Lenox back in the day (this man has done everything and knows more than that)."  We noticed a difference well, slowly because they were replaced in November and it was kind of cool back then but the last two months we have gotten light bills of $56, then $66 and now that we are in July, the June bill was $134, which to me sounds so great considering we are keeping it much cooler than before, I used to keep the thermostat at 76 and now my mom tells me it was very uncomfortable and even Girlie told me the same thing, but it was all I could do and still we would get $400 light bills in August.  As of right now, the thermostat is at 73, the pool pump is running every other day for around 10 hours, Boy has his 3D printers going nonstop sometimes, and then all the other power suckers like the TVs, freezer, two fridges running 24x7, I feel very satisfied with how the house is behaving right now.  Maybe the solar panels can actually help out now that the old A/C systems aren't sucking power like it's 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment