Wednesday, July 28, 2021

7/28/21 Another Day, Another A/C Problem?

     I just had a different technician looking at our A/C unit upstairs.  We've had so many calls this one said he remembers being here working on it before but I didn't remember him, so maybe that means that unit has seen a lot of visits.  Anyway, the problem this time is that the unit upstairs was not cooling and the air coming from the vents is a good 20 degrees warmer than the air coming from the vents downstairs (~50 degrees down stairs versus ~70 degrees upstairs).  I called Monday and they said today (Wednesday) was the soonest they could come.  I said okay but I could tell the unit is working its ass off just to keep itself running at 70 degrees, so much that I swore last night I could hear it shuddering outside when I went to the bathroom at night (units sit right outside the wall of the bathroom).

    The technician showed up very early, I was told 1:00-6:00pm, but he called at 9:45am and was here by 10:30am, which is preferable for me, since I work in the afternoon.  He did his thing and I followed him outside, I like to stay close by in case they have questions I might be able to help with.  I filled him in on things that the other guys have said and done.  Before he even connected his equipment to check the Freon level he saw that the copper lines inside the unit were frozen solid.  I glanced in and thought the lines were covered in white Styrofoam for a second, the ice was so thick.  He then said it needed to thaw out before he could diagnose anything.  After this, he went back and tried turning the fan on to help move air through the unit and I guess this would help that the unit out, but he noticed the fan was not running properly.  So now the thought is will a new blower (he thinks there is something wrong with the blower wiring internally, I think) fix the problem?  I have been thinking and telling all of them that the air moving through the vents make a lot of noise (the blower is what makes the air move), so maybe.  His thought is that the blower is not running at the right time, running when the unit outside is off and not running when the unit outside is trying to cool and "condition" the air (my interpretation of what he said).

    How long do we go before we just get a new unit, are there lemon laws for home appliances?  I don't mind having these guys work on a problem if they can fix it and we then have a few years of no problems, but this is the third or fourth time they have been out here to see this unit and here we still are, with warm bedrooms.  The units aren't even a year old, the lady answering the phone was all "that'll be $99 for the service call..."  until I got a little excited and said no ma'am, these were just installed in November, we haven't even gone through one summer and they cost $25,000.  She then looked over her notes and corrected herself.  Give me a few years of trouble free service and then we can talk about service calls.  Y'all can't just start charging to fix equipment you just installed.  We haven't even gone through a week of 100 degree days and that is the real reason I didn't mind the high cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment