Tuesday, July 6, 2021

7/6/21 Too Many Chiefs?

     It is near impossible to make plans with a group like my family.  We are all good people in the big picture as far as being productive members of society, but small picture, we are all assholes as well.  We are trying to go to Disney for Thanksgiving weekend but we all want it to be our way and as a result, we can't seem to even decide what day to get going or how.

    I want to go by driving our Telluride, it seems to be the cheapest way, it is a fairly new vehicle, but it isn't as big as the Excursion, so I can't fit my parent's and my brother comfortably along with us and our bags.  My mom thought of renting a big 15 passenger van, which could work, but it would have to be picked up somewhere, so I figure here and when I typed in the days we needed it for, the online calculator gave us 2100 miles, then each additional mile at .25 cents.  The round trip is roughly 2400 miles plus whatever running around we do in the Disney area.  That bill starts at $1500 for the week plus the additional miles.  My sister suggested renting an RV so we could be really comfortable, but that would be even more expensive, none of us has looked that up.  My brother suggests we just fly, but we looked at Southwest and United and the price is like $1500 per person, roundtrip, so it would be around $4500 for the 3 of us plus renting a van up there, paying to store our car here which doesn't even start to include accommodations.

    I would like to leave Friday at 6:00pm, when Wife gets home, drive all night like we have done a few times, to get there Saturday afternoon, we could then go get food and rest the rest of the day.  This would allow us to go to a park on Sunday.  My sister wants to leave Saturday, stay in a hotel halfway there, which we have also done, then continue driving on Sunday.  We wouldn't go to a park until Monday.  My brother figures we can fly in Friday or Saturday be fresh and ready to do stuff that day.  I know my dad will be wore out if he has to be in a car not moving for that many hours, shoot I'm going to feel like shit, it hurts to sit in the car going the three hours to Crystal.

    I figure with the shortened time, we should just stick to the Disney parks, it has been long enough that even the Animal Kingdom park has had many upgrades, that it might be worth seeing.  My sister wants to go to the Universal parks because she is still living in a world with Harry Potter.  I want to see that too, but they probably purposely spread the magic between both their parks to force people to want to go to both parks.

    The accommodations are another point of contention.  We have stayed in 4-5 different places, so we are cool with booking a week at any of those places, per Wife, whichever is cheapest.  My sister has a timeshare type of thing and wants to stay at Westgate Resorts, but we would have to do a timeshare tour to get a discount to stay there.  My brother prefers to stay at one of the Disney parks because you can get in to the parks sooner and there is less hassle, they take you and pick you up.  I don't like the idea of staying in a box with 2 beds and no kitchen.  I want some privacy at the end of the day, I want my own toilet and shower and I want to move at my pace.

    We need someone to mediate and cut through the shit, even yesterday sitting there face to face, the conversation gets so far off the road, we left and Wife was like "who gives a shit about Woodrow Wilson? (which came up in our meandering conversations), I just want to reserve a hotel, but we haven't decided on what day yet."  The trip will be fun, we just need to decide and start clamping down on what exactly we are going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment