Sunday, July 25, 2021

7/25/21 Complimented On My Kids?

     There is no greater feeling as a parent to be told by another adult outside your realm of control that your kid is just a great human being.  I got the call from one of Baby A's coaches to give us the unfortunate news that one of the players on the team tested positive for Covid.  This is of course bad news when the coaches have a game plan for the summer and the boys have been working their hearts out and now because of this, they have to quarantine for two weeks.

    The coach caught us Thursday afternoon as we finished eating at Dan's burgers, a place my son really likes to eat at and after awhile of the same chicken thighs and meat, I felt it was time to eat something different.  The coach that called is a new one and I don't think I have even met him in person but he called with a very stern voice, I was expecting to hear some bad news like my boy had vandalized something or done some harm to something, but he went through his whole Covid speech which I told him it was fine and we understood the risks with allowing him to play sports where he might get infected because they work so closely together.  After a couple of minutes, he said he was done reading the robotic speech he had to do and he wanted to talk to me coach to parent and he started with "I have been coaching for 15 years everywhere from Florida to Texas and I have met many fine young men, but you have a special one here.  Your son is truly one of the greatest person's I have had the honor of working with,  He comes in every day with a positive attitude, he tries to inspire the other kids, and is really a joy to teach."  I just told him we have always told our boys that if you are going to do something, give it your all or don't waste anybody's time.

    In the past, we have also gotten the same from Boy.  The teacher in charge of the rockets program at Akins loved our son's enthusiasm and he told us so a few times.  Then there was the time we met a coworker of Boy when he worked at Alamo Drafthouse and he started going on and on about how great our son was, always going above and beyond as a coworker, never being one to hide or slack.

    Stuff like this makes me feel proud and although it is not easy, it is also not hard, it is just a lifetime commitment to the things you choose to create, you have to see them through to completion.  This all in stark contrast to the assholes at Cheddar's who walked in like it was a pool party screaming and shrieking in the front of the restaurant.  I wanted to go out there and take my belt to some of those jackoffs but I am sure they are beyond repair at this point.  The world gets good people and the world gets shit people at the same time.  Thanks shit parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment