Sunday, July 18, 2021

7/18/21 Breakfast With The In-Laws?

     Wife has been wanting to get together with family more recently after my last uncle passed away.  She told her family we should get together once a month and either have lunch or a meal together.  I mentioned the first one a few weeks ago at a restaurant in New Braunfels the day before Father's Day and now we met again this Saturday morning.  The difference was that this was for breakfast at a Pancake Haus, which turned out to be kind of like an IHOP if IHOP was more bland and missing some taste.

    Wife is commuting daily between Austin and San Antonio for work and I guess she had noticed this particular restaurant almost in San Antonio right off I-35 on the north bound side, exit 175, if it matters.  It was a little crazy to set up because she was told that it is really popular and fills up, so she wanted to get there as soon as it opened, so she scheduled it for 7:00am.  I only half listen to her when she gets one of these bugs up her ass and say yeah yeah to whatever she thinks will be a fun time.  Deciding on this turned into us having to get up at 5:00am, which is ridiculous to me, for pancakes.  I normally have been getting up early most days, usually 7:00-8:00am on my days off, but 5:00am is way too early.  It didn't dawn on me what I ad committed to until Friday night when we had to go to bed like children at 10:30pm.  Baby A and Boy still did what they do and stayed up super late, Boy usually stays up until 3:00am even during the week, opting to nap when he gets home from work.  The younger knucklehead said he was up until about 4:30am, no wonder he looked crazy when I tried to wake him at 5:20am.  We managed to get out the door by 6:00am and were on the highway quickly and efficiently.  Wife can't help herself, I'm driving, I'm in a good mood, and yet she has to complain "why are you driving so fast?  You know you're going almost 80...."  I just ignored her telling her to "Shut up" would have ruined the family energy.  I just decided to talk about the music we were listening to.  The boys were asleep most of the way, Boy made a cocoon with a blanket, even covered his face.

    We got to the restaurant like at 6:50, there was very little traffic, I can't remember the last time we drove on I-35 and been able to just haul ass without any traffic build ups.  We met up with my mother and father in law and Wife's two sisters, everybody else was smart enough to stay home and sleep.  The doors didn't open until 7:00am sharp.  We were the first in the door, I still had to make the joke "it'll be a 30 minute wait to sit you" because we never go anywhere to eat without having to wait a bit, but they sat us down wherever we wanted and ate.  The coffee was great, but the food was bland, we all thought.  I thought their pancakes were a little thin and lacking in texture, maybe it didn't help that I used the sugar free syrup (trying to keep the carb count low, only ate half the pancakes).  The omelette was good, I went for something I would never order and got the omelette with shrimp and avocado.  It just needed a little punch, the color was bland because the shrimp are almost white, the eggs were light yellow and the avocado slices were folded in the middle of the omelette.  Both boys said there food was okay, Wife thought hers needed more spices.  Maybe they just need more Jose and Juan in the kitchen.

     We finished and were back home before 10:00am.  Both boys wasted no time and went right back to sleep, Wife pretty much did the same.  I stayed up and pissy because I had wanted to go do something, but when your family isn't the "get up early and conquer the day type" on the weekends, you just have to sit and suck it.  The rest of the day was okay, once everyone got up at a more natural 1:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment