Tuesday, June 29, 2021

6/30/21 Boy Has A Plan For A Home?

     Last night was interesting, to say the least.  I got to work and for the second night this week, we did not have work to do.  We had one simple job, a monthly internal qualification we do on our tool to make sure it is running as it should.  It took me about an hour to run (we have about 7 jobs on our logbooks, they just haven't arrived onsite, so we can't start anything), then I was free to go home, no reason to stick around work all night, in the age of Covid19.  I rushed home, stopped to get some more burger patties at HEB since Baby A had three extra guys hanging out and Girlie had come over after she told us she had been fired.

    Boy was not there when I got home, I figured he was at his girlfriends, but I guess he was just stuck in traffic, he showed up closer to 7pm, while I was outside grilling the patties, we cook about 90% of our meals now outside, specially if I am making dinner.  He was excited that he had come up with a plan to get a house, I said "what are you going to do?"  His one word answer was "build".  I said that sounded like a great idea, considering his girlfriend's family has a lot of people that do that for a living and I imagine they have to be getting closer to moving in together permanently, I mean they aren't little kids anymore.  Then he added he was going to order a kit to build a dome house, he saw them online and then proceeded to get me to look them up.  According to the website, they sell the kit to a dome house that will fit 5 bedrooms with a kitchen, living room and multiple bathrooms for $18,000, I would say under $20,000 before adding taxes and stuff.

    The idea of a dome house kind of sounds interesting and if someone could pull it off, I would think it would be Boy, he is a little different and him living in a dome sounds about right.  There is still a lot of other stuff that goes along with this, such as needing some land to build on, a foundation, which I don't imagine to be cheap, the kit does not include interior walls and all the internals, so the $20,000 is not even halfway to all that will be spent.  I don't know if this is an idea he will follow through with, but I did tell him that if he found some acreage and wanted us to go in half and half, we could look into it.  I then saw a ten acre piece of land with a pond for $200,000.  I told him we could get that, we go 50/50 and he can build on half and we can eventually build on the other half, later.  This is to help him, land is expensive and I don't want him stuck in a small lot with a bunch of shitty neighbors, but his girlfriend needs to buy into this idea, she may not want us that close.  Still, I am glad there are ways to work around this glut of overpriced homes that just do not seem affordable to regular people.  We are lucky we bought our house 14 years ago, I am sure we wouldn't be able to afford it today with the prices how crazy they have gotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment