Tuesday, June 8, 2021

6/8/21 This Is Normal?

     I have been on nightshift for pretty much the last twenty five years or so and then Wife was working out of town for the last five years.  This past week I have been working days training on the old tool I used to run before coming to the chemistry group and then the fact that Wife is back living with us here in Austin means that we are eating dinner and spending time together during the week.

    I thought today (Tuesday evening) was really cool and special because we were both home by 6:00pm, we were able to grill some burgers outside and we even spent about an hour or so in the pool.  It was almost too nice of an afternoon for what I am used to.  My normal weekdays have mostly been spent at work.  Most of my work nights start around 5:00pm and over the years sometimes as late as 7:00pm.  I am happy enough to start it earlier, but even happier right now that I can start whenever because I am covering for people on vacation and part of my job is to run the tools when they are available.

    I will be honest in saying it would be nice if the pool was another 5-10 degrees warmer but after hearing Adam Carolla saying he is swimming year round even if the water is down in the 50's, makes me want to copy him.  He gave a long explanation on how getting in the cold water is good for a person to get out of their head.  I am always up for a little introspection but I get what he means, getting into that cold water is a little painful but the numbing effect after feels really good, once your whole body is in.

    After grilling we then have been able to sit and eat together more than one meal in the last couple of weeks since she has been back.  Tonight we watched a couple episodes of The Kids Are Alright on Hulu.  It is a real funny show about a family with 8 kids and growing up in the early 70's.

    I am writing this as Wife is upstairs getting her things together for tomorrow, I will be joining her in a few minutes most likely as my plan is to get to work as early as possible.  I managed to get there today around 9:00am, and that was after I woke up as Wife was leaving at 5:45am, I made myself a cup of coffee, worked out as the sun came up, then showered and headed to work.  At this point, I would like to find a way to come to days without losing any money but if I did the reality is I would lose the 15% I fought to get back a few months ago.  The best thing is to just enjoy those little opportunities when they arise, I think it makes the times we spend together that much better because they are kind of rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment