Friday, June 25, 2021

6/25/21 Trying Google Fiber?

     What can I say, I am a tool for new toys.  We had been getting flyers to switch to Google fiber for about a year.  According to what I just read, it has been around for ten years but it is in only 18 cities, so far.  Austin happens to be one of those cities, so the optical lines have already been buried in the streets and neighborhoods.  The technician is installing whatever connects from the outside to inside the house at the moment, but I think it will be great.

    First off, I am tired of paying for cable.  First Time Warner gave us a good screwing when we were paying over $280 a month for cable, internet and a landline for phone.  This was a good 5-7 years ago.  We then tried AT&T U-Verse and initially we paid like $160 or maybe a little less, but the latest bill was $248, so it has crept up.  Honestly the quality of programming has been coming down as the price keeps going up.  I currently look forward to watching Black-ish, Goldbergs, and that is about it.  I stopped caring for HGTV when they insisted on focusing on Property Brothers instead of just showing houses in beautiful locations.  I would care about the Longhorn Network, but they have sucked since Colt McCoy and Mack Brown left.  I have no reason to watch a group of outstanding players put out a mediocre product on the field.  Rant off, my point is that there isn't anything compelling to keep me paying crazy prices for cable if I hardly watch it anymore, and the thought that we are supporting brats like Lebron James by sponsoring the companies that pay him, well fuck that.

    Google Fiber will provide us access to the internet at supposedly much faster speeds and with that we can look at Netflix, Hulu, Disney, Youtube, and if the Longhorns ever get good again, I'm sure I can buy a dedicated something for football games.  Fuck the NFL and their pandering to BLM, I just can't support that BS.  Same with the NBA, it is a long time since the class and quality of a Robinson or Duncan graced the Spurs anyway.  

    I'm willing to try Google Fiber, for $70 a month, well $80 and we can keep our landline, only because I have had that number since I moved to Austin in 1991, not that I keep a phone plugged into the wall, only annoying solicitors call that line.  As far as the sales lady said, there are no contracts to sign and we can quit anytime, so we will keep AT&T for another month in the background, so if there is a lot of buffering or lag times, we will just go back to them.  We shall see if Fiber is the future or just another sales gimmick.

No comments:

Post a Comment