Saturday, June 5, 2021

6/5/21 Old Vs. New?

     Decisions decisions, I have been thinking about our vehicle situation for awhile and now I have to act.  This morning, in a heroic effort on my part, I woke up at 6:45am and started my day by going to Ford and picking up our Escape and dropping off my Excursion.  Last week, the service engine light came on in the Escape and it turned out to be the oxygen sensors which got replaced along with a tune up.  They then put it in my head that one of the tires had a "blow out" which I still don't understand because I drove the car there, but they said one of the tires had an unfixable something or other.  I had already had a thought about the tires because we bought the car used a couple months ago.  I told them I would take care of the tires myself and go to Discount Tire after he said he could replace two for $450.  I thought I could do better, but I did much worse, walking out of Discount Tire with a $1240 bill for all four new tires, but I did get some better quality tires Michelins instead of the Pirellis that were on there.  I couldn't in good conscience put some cheap alternatives on the car with Wife driving it for her commutes half the time to San Antonio.  This is a 2013 car and whether I like it or not, we have now committed the cost of the car, plus these $2000 plus dollars to fix and get up to a comfortable point, so we will be driving the crap out of it, hopefully, for a long time.

    The other big thought was in order to pick up the Escape, I took my Excursion and dropped it off for an oil change and tag inspection.  I figured this would give Wife plenty of time to sleep in and we could pick the car up in the afternoon after she gets up and starts her day.  Well, they called around 3:00pm that they had done those two things but they really recommended a brake fluid flush for $99.95 and there was an oil leak.  I'm not sure about that since I don't see any oil stains on our driveway, but the service lady said it could just be starting as a seep.  I thought BS, but after talking with Wife she said "well, it is getting old and you do still rely on it, so get it fixed before it becomes a problem."  I hate the idea that they might be trying to scam me, but I do love that I have never had a problem with the Excursion and at this point it does not make sense to try and get into another vehicle, trucks are crazy expensive and not really in stock.  The technician even told me "you really shouldn't get rid of it, it would be crazy to sell it at this point" (like she knows me or something, but I appreciate the opinion).  She also said the tires have dry rot and I should really be replacing them.  I believe the tires have a date of 2013, I haven't replaced them in about seven years and I really should have, but I was thinking of getting rid of it for awhile.  At this point, I think I'll just keep it for a few more years and save me the monthly payment for a little while longer.  I really want a new truck, but I don't want the new truck bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment