Tuesday, June 22, 2021

6/22/21 People Don't Grill Every Weekend?

     Wife was telling me this weekend while we were in the pool enjoying our best life, that she was telling some of her coworkers her plans that we were going to grill some meat and hang out for Father's Day and they seemed puzzled "you seem to grill every weekend."  I thought this was what most people do on the weekends, is it not a thing?  I assumed this is 'Merica and we burn cows and pigs on the weekend and enjoy that smoky taste.  I figured my neighbors didn't partake because they are uppity white folk but normal people love BBQ.

    Don't get me wrong, I used to love going out to eat, but it seems lately every time we go out it is at least $50 for anything halfway decent.  I mean going for a shitty cauliflower pizza at Mod Pizza is like $35 for three of us.  We went this past weekend and met my in-laws on Saturday at Clear Springs Restaurant in New Braunfels, Baby A did take two friends, but that cost me $180.  It was mediocre, to me.  I mean the onion rings were good, but should that be the highlight of a dining experience?  I also did not like that it seemed like all the white people were sat down first, we were all in line when we got there, my in-laws were at the front of the line, but we still were sent outside, almost rudely by the twit running the door, who had let half the people in.  We stood outside for a goof fifteen minutes, then we were called in and looking all around, it just seemed a little suspect, nothing but white folk, nothing against them, but it sure seemed like we brownies were made to wait, then we were sat in the back room against a wall.  It just set a bad feeling for the start of the meal.  That is another reason I prefer to just cook and eat at home now, I'm not there for your benefit, I want to be treated with a modicum of respect if I am going to give you my wallet for you to scavenge.

    We have always grilled on the weekends, if we are home and not in a rush or distracted by other events.  That was the rough part of those 5-6 weeks there where Baby A was doing the wrestling tournaments and we went to Houston then the back to back funerals and a couple other things, we couldn't just hang out on the weekend and grill, it was rough.  The pellet grill sure does make the affair a lot easier, it is just a flick of a switch after a little cleaning to remove the ash from the previous meal, but even when I used charcoal, we still enjoyed a lot of meals over an open fire.  I have probably gone through a good ten grills during my married life, this one being the best, but I did just buy the griddle grill and I haven't learned how to really use it yet, so who knows.  I do know we shall continue burning meat outside as long as I can afford to buy the meat, have you seen prices at the meat market lately?  Might end up smoking dogs and squirrels from the area if this doesn't let up.  (just kidding, winnies)

No comments:

Post a Comment