Tuesday, June 15, 2021

6/15/21 Life's Little Surprises?

     Sunday night was mostly just a regular day here at the house, we grilled a small brisket and sausages, our normal weekend thing when we are relaxing.  Boy got home just as we were getting ready to eat, he had gone to the coast and came back pretty sunburned but seemed happy with his trip.  Baby A was getting his mind set ready to start summer football conditioning, which I am excited about and by 8:00pm we had gone upstairs to go shower and so Wife could get ready for bed.

    DD texted around that time but I hadn't had my phone in my hand, but I saw his message around 9:00pm and he asked if we were home and available to talk, they wanted to talk to us and it seemed important so I said come on over.  Wife took her shower and within 20 minutes or so they were at the door.  Him and his wife and two dogs are staying in an apartment out by Buda near Cabela's, so they are probably 10 minutes away from us.

    It was nice to see them, we hadn't seen them in a few weeks, we exchanged hellos and then invited them in to sit at the kitchen table so they could share the concerns/news.  Just looking at them, looking nervous and excited I blurted out "you're pregnant!"  Yes, was both their response and both seemed giddy and excited saying we were the first people they had told.  Both Wife and I said congratulations, we are excited and happy for you.  My stance has been "don't be an idiot and have kids as a kid", but the two of them went and got married and are living together so they are playing life right as they should.  I told them "well, you're living together and probably humping day and night, it's what is supposed to happen."

    They wanted advice and assurance, so I told DD that the biggest advice I can give him is that being a dad is not hard, you just have to show up, she will be doing the hard part.  Be forgiving of each other, we all have good and bad days, if she calls you an asshole, don't take it personally, it might be the hormones.  Wife said the best thing is communication, don't let misunderstandings get in the way, explain when something upsets you, the other person may not know what you are going through.

    I don't know that I am great at the job but I show up every day, my boys know they can count on me to be there for them, anything else is just gravy on top.  She was already experiencing hormonal changes and said she had been crying all morning, for no reason.  Wife told her it is normal and the baby will mess with your hormones, just ride it and realize it is temporary.  She told her how with Boy she was really nice and passive with everything, but with Baby A she could see herself being very aggressive in her interactions and curiously that is a big makeup of how each boy's personality is.

    There really is no downside for them, they are married and seem happy together, they are both working decent jobs and have plans to move to a more permanent living situation here soon, although plenty of people do live in apartments for a time.  I am happy for them and I wish them the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment