Wednesday, June 23, 2021

6/23/21 What Happened To His Childhood?

     I remember Boy growing up, he pretty much spent the summer days up all night with an assortment of boys here playing video games and eating junk food.  That very much mirrored my childhood where I remember hiding away from the heat in my bedroom, my parent's house still did not have central A/C but all the bedrooms had a window unit, so I kept my room super cold and dark, and as an added touch, we would put a piece of cardboard over the return vents to hit us with that cold air.  I thought my growing up was pretty awesome, we'd get a new video game every so often, so we always had entertainment and of course we had the connection, my grandma worked in the cafeteria, so every now and then we'd get a box of burritos (like 100 of them at a time), or a big government size block of cheese or even blocks of ham, those were some serious good munching times.  Anyways, my point is that all this was normal to me, take your time growing up.

    Fast forward to Baby A and he is in this serious relationship with the gym.  The football coach has dreams that this year Crockett will overcome and be good this year, their goal is to go to the playoffs and win, not just show up.  They have a staff of new coaches, like 7 of them, and they are working hard through the summer.  I thought there were rules to the amount of practice they could do, but I know the rich schools get around this BS because they are always so much better, but we had a meeting with the coaches and they said because Covid-19 affected last year so much, they are being allowed the summer to work out and catch up.  As a result, Baby A is at practice every day, for 3 hours a day.  He is like a work dog, when he doesn't exercise like this, he is constantly trying to get me riled up so he can push me around or looking to wrestle anyone, he doesn't know what to do when Mama goes after him though, because she is a lot of woman and she goes hard but he can't just throw her to the ground, it's funny.  But after he comes home from these practices, he is spent and lays pretty low and quiet.

    On the one hand, I appreciate the fact that he is looking more solid and he mentions the gains, last week he squatted 525 pounds, a new high for him.  He carries himself with a lot of confidence and I love all those attributes.  He is becoming a leader in the gym and amongst his teammates as he is now an upperclassman, and he takes that as a responsibility, always trying to help the new guys.  On the other hand, I kind of feel like he is done being a little kid, no more just enjoying a big bag of Cheetos and Mountain Dew all night, orange fingers in the morning showing his accomplishments and finding satisfaction in finally killing the big boss on whatever video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment