Saturday, June 12, 2021

6/11/21 New Watch In The Collection?

     I finally made a decision and added another watch to my collection.  It turns out I am pretty predictable and went with something as Wife said "I thought you already owned that one."  I had been looking and thinking of buying a new watch for probably the last year, in reality I am always looking for my next thing to buy, but I really wanted another Rolex, if I can be honest.  The problem with that idea is that they are sold out everywhere we look.  This little first world problem got me thinking and looking at other brands and I really thought I was going to decide on a Panerai, we saw those watches in Houston, but they just seemed a little overpriced to me, but I am no expert.  I then fell in love with the idea of a red dial watch and when I started looking for one, I discovered the Bell and Ross diver watches, which I do really like a square faced watch and their piece de resistance was on a bronze body with a red dial and red bezel, it was beautiful, but I gave the lady at the store a week to find one and call me back but I did not hear from her, they only made 999, so they were a limited edition batch.

    We went to Jared yesterday afternoon, thinking they were going to have Omega or Tudor watches, at least that is what I was interested in, but they did not have either of those brands, saying they were discontinuing Tudor from their lineups and Omega was only through their online store.  Their pride and joy on the watch front is Tag Heuer, not my first or second choice, but still a very recognizable brand and the prices are not crazy.  The sales guy started with his pitch that Tag was probably a better watch than everything else, of course he would say that, that is his job, but over on the side of the display, he did have a couple of Monaco watches and either memory of a bad decision or nostalgia got me swayed in that direction.

    About 8-10 years ago, we were in Corpus Christi at the mall and I had one of these Monaco watches in my hand and the lady said they were discontinuing carrying that brand and at the time the watch was $4800 I believe and she was saying I could buy it for $4200, or something like that.  I had just bought a watch at the time, so it seemed excessive and did not buy it, but always felt like I missed out on a good opportunity.  The watch yesterday had a price tag of $6300, the sales guy explained that it had a new movement inside with an 80 hour reserve, the glass is sapphire crystal, and he would even get me the longer length strap with taxes for $5500.  It being about $1000 ten years later from when I should have bought it added to me deciding to get it.  I doubt Ben Bridge would have offered a discount, I love that store, but they have never mentioned any type of discount, I didn't even know they could do that.  This makes me want to continue doing business with them, maybe I will get an Omega next with these guys, let's see how this watch behaves.



No comments:

Post a Comment