Friday, June 18, 2021

6/19/21 More Preparation Or Paranoia?

     I am still thinking of the generator and air conditioner situation, but we did pick up our Excursion from the shop and it cost me a pretty $2600, so the idea of a $5000 generator seems like an excess right this minute.  I will buy one but I am a little worried the first blackout is just around the corner, but also it might not even happen, we've never been without power for an extended time.

    On the wings of that thought, I noticed the Blackstone grills at Lowe's and I think I want one.  I have my pellet grill, but in the event of a power outage, it isn't going to really help.  I like the idea that these griddle tops run on gas and the smaller one uses either the little green 1 pound tanks or the bigger 20 pound propane tanks.  I can envision having a store of the little green propane containers in the garage or washroom along with the charcoal bags I have for my old style charcoal grill.  This would give us options to prepare food if we did lose power because of heat, storms, or a freeze like the one we had.  The reality as the guy at Lowe's said is that the week long freeze is probably a once in a lifetime event for us here in Texas, unless the people crying about global warming are right and we are in for crazier weather because we have ruined the planet.  On a side note, isn't it early for the weathermen to be talking about the first hurricane forming in the gulf here in June?

    I saw a Youtube video of a guy doing a review on one of these grills and I really liked the idea of grilling sliced and diced veggies.  The griddle surface even works for pancakes and other flat type of foods.  I am sure a pizza could be heated on the griddle too.  The big show on the commercials I have seen is the cook is making something like a stir fry, heating up a rice of some kind, veggies, and topping it with some sort of thinly sliced meats.

    The one drawback is that I looked online at Lowe's and they are sold out, I was looking at the website and they had some for delivery, but as I was checking the different stores in the area to see if they had one in stock to pick up, the information changed and now they don't even have them for delivery.  Amazon has them, but the delivery is out in the middle of July, and I think I can find one if I look around hard enough.  I could order a larger one, but then I am not sure if it would run on the little green propane tanks, so I will wait until I find either a 17 or 22 inch version.  The 17 inch one has one burner, and the 22 inch has two burners, but the larger ones have three or more.

Blackstone 22 inch grill


Green Propane cylinders




No comments:

Post a Comment