Monday, August 3, 2020

8/3/20 Starting To Look Like A Car Dealership Outside?

    Maybe we jumped the gun a little early, but I was really itching to buy something.  Not really believing Wife would go along with buying a new RV or even a car, I was ready to go back and buy a couple of scooter/dirt bikes so Javalina could run around in the greenbelt behind the house.  He managed to save some money from the last time we went to Disney, it was up to $600 with what the Grandmas and people give him, then we also put some in and he was up to $1000.  In the morning, I was figuring how to bring it up to Wife so she wouldn't spaz out, but surprisingly, she asked me if we were going to go look at some cars.  I quickly shifted my attention and asked what she had in mind.
    She said as long as it wasn't a car, so pretty much an SUV.  I didn't want anything older than 2018, probably and less than 40,000 miles.  I looked at Autotrader and Maxwell Ford, mostly because I am partial to Fords, I have not had much trouble with the ones I have owned.  Wife might like Kia, but her last one did blow a motor, she still managed a last salvo of not minding if we ended up getting another Kia Soul.  By the way, this car is to lighten the load on her Telluride which she loves but even though she only put 800 miles on it the first two months she owned it, when we weren't going anywhere, she is now over 11,000 miles and moving fast, since she is driving daily to and from La Pryor, three hours each way.  The car could also be considered a car for Javalina to learn to drive on and finally as a back up if my Excursion goes down as it is about 16 years old now.
    For me, it was easy, I have liked the Ford Ecosport for some reason ever since I saw one about a year ago and noticed it was 4WD.  I looked at the Maxwell Ford site and told Wife we can either get a bare bones brand new one with cloth seats and the smaller engine for an advertised $15,088, or a 2019 fully loaded Titanium edition with sunroof, leather seats, power everything and a slightly larger engine with 31,000 miles for the same price.  I decided I liked the idea of the bigger engine, just to have a little more power to merge with traffic on the highway.  I do like leather seats and all the neat gizmos, like 4WD and even ambient lighting on the floor, door handles inside and cupholders.  We did a ten minute test drive, found nothing wrong and went inside to do the paperwork.
    My fantasy was to pay $200 a month or so with $1000 down.  We ended up at $296, with the $1000 down but that included a 60,000 mile extended warranty.  Overall, I am very happy with our purchase.  It is the first small vehicle I don't have to contort my head to climb in.  Even in the Kia Soul which was comfortable once I climbed in, required a bending of the neck to get in.  I probably wouldn't mind a couple more inches width wise, everything else seems good.  The seatbelt does not choke me or make me feel fat, the steering wheel moves up and down and telescopes a bit too.  My head doesn't touch the ceiling above and Javalina now has a car we won't mind him driving.  The Excursion was too much vehicle, and the Telluride was too nice, this will be perfect for him right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment