Sunday, August 23, 2020

8/23/20 My Bubble Did Not Fit In With A Box? (part 3 of 5)

     We finally got there, Javalina and I were the first there, Austin is one hour from SA, Crystal City is two hours away and Wife called that she was going to run first back to Crystal City to get her bag of clothes and stuff, then get going, so that added another 30-40 minutes to her travels.  It is a bit confusing showing up for the first time at an Army facility like that.  There is a guarded entry, like going in to a park like Disney or Fiesta except the guards and police officers all have guns and the entrances have those spikes that will ruin your tires if you act the fool and go in the wrong way.  I just followed the line of cars but quickly noticed everyone had ID or something they were showing to get in.  When I got to the guard he asked what business I had and I tried saying my mom was getting flown in by helicopter and all I know is that she is supposed to be here somewhere.  He was cool and the police officer next to him said to move me over to the side and explain to me where to go while he kept the traffic moving.  He said to go the building behind us and go in there so we can get a visitor pass before going in.  I was able to turn back quite easily, thanks to the Ecosport's size, the Excursion might have required some back and forth.

    The building seemed like it was going to be cold and indifferent, there was just a number on the door to call for help.  I almost doubted anyone was going to be helpful, but a Hispanic man in fatigues came out and he was just great.  He spoke our language, professional with an occasional mijo in there to make you feel at ease,  he was as nice as a person in his position could be, I appreciated that, it was actually very stressful, being there and not knowing anything.  We signed our names on a list, then he called us to his station, got my mom's name and called the hospital for us.  I was a little scared to get an update, it can always be "the helicopter had trouble and went down, or we tried everything we could, but there was internal bleeding, or the worst thoughts just come to the back of your mind while trying to keep it together, and my siblings weren't even there yet, so that sucked.

    Everyone there, so far, has been top notch, I can't say enough nice things.  He hung up the phone and told me that she had arrived and was in the operating room, there was no update but to just wait awhile, the guard said to just wait in there where it was nice and cool, and he would call for us later.  That was very nice of him because it was 101-103 outside and by the way, he said nobody was allowed to go in at this point, she was in the operating room, so especially not at that point, maybe when she stabilized and went to a room one of us in the party might be let in.  This is not because it is an Army base, but because of Covid-19 and the risks with letting in just random people.  I told him I understood, I have heard as much in the news about not being able to see people when they go in to hospitals, so it didn't surprise me.  The guard said he had experienced all types of people some loose their minds when you tell them they can't get onsite and they have to be detained, and you know what that means.  Just seeing all these fit soldiers in their uniforms, there is no way a sane person would challenge them.  All of them look healthy enough to flip me on my slow fat ass with a quick round house, I mean they all had bullet proof vests and the big police belts with all sorts of tools at their waists.  As scared as I was for my mom, I was also left with a positive imprint of what the Army means.  There is so much class and professionalism coming from these people.

No comments:

Post a Comment