Thursday, August 13, 2020

8/12/20 Boat! Boat! Boat! Boat! Boat!

     I know the best thing to do is wait and finish getting our bills in order, but damn it, I want a boat so badly.  I am at the point where I don't even feel a need for a big boat anymore, I would be happy with something that just gets us out on the water and away from people.  Adding to my pressure, Javalina told me at Cabela's last week that he wanted to go fishing.  This kind of lights a fire under my ass, to get him out there before he loses interest, yet I know we are in Covid-19 times and anywhere we go to try to fish from shore is going to be full of other people trying to do the same.  I don't want to go and share the shoreline with some other contagious people who are out trying to have a little family fun time.

    I was doing the next best thing I could and looking at used boats, maybe I could find something cheaper.  I then remembered the small Seadoo Speedster boats that were almost like personal watercraft (PWC) but it was a small boat and maybe 4 people could fit.  The things were only 16ft long or so, which I like because it means it would fit in the garage for storage.  The only problem is that they are not being made anymore and the used ones are hard to find.  I remember they only cost $10,500 or so, yet people are trying to sell their used versions ten years later for more money than that.  I would be willing to pay $5,000 or $6,000 for a good used one, but I am not paying more than they cost new, that would be stupid.

    Then last night I was thinking and I remembered that Scarab had some jet boats at the boat show and I went to their website to see what they had.  They are now making a 16 foot boat with the same thought as the Seadoo Speedster, something small and a step above buying a couple of PWC.  According to their website, they are selling them starting at $21,995.  For a new boat, that sounds pretty good.  By the time I came up with this idea, I was more asleep than awake, all night I tried pulling up reviews of this fine little boat but would fall asleep before seeing any of the videos.  Wife finally told me to turn off the computer around 4:30am.  I got up at 8:00am this morning (Sunday) and looked at around 5 different reviews and all the guys seem to like the little boat.

    Honestly, I would prefer a center console fishing boat, but if it has to be about cost, this little boat might work.  Scarab was making long sexy cigarette boats in the 80's, those big flashy boats that were only good for going fast with hot chicks.  I would have liked one of those, but I don't have the money for that lifestyle.  This might be a decent compromise as the boats are still flashy and good looking, but even the biggest is only in the $60,000 range.

No comments:

Post a Comment