Thursday, August 27, 2020

8/28/20 Finally Tested My New Grill?

    It took a few extra days, but I finally tested my new grill and it did not disappoint.  For my birthday last week, my boys and Wife pooled their money together and bought me a new grill.  The one we use is still okay, it just seems that every weekend when we grill, we just can't seem to fit everything in, Wife and I both think we just need a bigger grill.  Since the boys were going to help me with this purchase and I have been curious about the pellet grills for awhile but not brave enough to pull the trigger on a grill that would cost more than $500, this just seemed like the perfect time to go for it.  Boy is always about the latest technology and pellets just seems more futuristic than pieces of wood or even charcoal or gas.
    The grill had actually been bought the weekend before my birthday on Sunday, but we had a bunch of grilled meat from Saturday night, so testing it had to wait until the following weekend.  Then my mom had her accident, which luckily was not as bad as it first appeared.  Saturday while we were coming back to Austin, DD did a test run and grilled some ribs which he did slowly over 3-4 hours and also smoked a brisket, taking a good 7-8 hours at 200 or 250 degrees.  This is the kind of BBQ I want to get good at, this is men's work, although with the pellets, one does not have to really tend to the fire, but I digress.  When we got home, DD had a pan of the ribs laid out and ready for us to try, they were really good, and then the brisket, which took another couple hours after we got here was also super smoky flavored.  I guess DD was really in a meat mood, he also bought me a tomahawk steak to try and grill.
    There was brisket and other stuff on Sunday that I almost didn't want to grill the steak, but I also couldn't imagine saving it.  The beauty of this new grill, is that it doesn't really need to be prepped.  I looked at Youtube real quick as to the best way to cook the steak, which doesn't sound like much, but it is around 3 pounds and over two inches thick.  The best idea seemed to require a slow cooking at 225 degrees for an hour or until the internal temp reached 120 degrees, then a quick sear at 450-500 degrees.  I would have no idea how to control the temperature before with charcoal, but with this grill, it has a knob with temperature readings, like an oven and a probe to stick in the meat.  I set the grill to 225 degrees, which is the lowest setting and stuck the meat probe in the middle of the steak.  It worked as the videos said.  After 45 minutes, the temp was 105, I went out and flipped it, out of habit and cooked it another 30 minutes, by then the temp was around 125 degrees internally.  I then "rested" the steak off the grill while the temp was increased to high for an outside sear.  Once the grill said about 480, I put the meat back on for another 3 minutes per side and wow.
    Wife was all "boo, you burnt it!"  When I opened the grill to flip it, there was a fire coming up and the steak was in trouble.  I flipped it, she was all "take it out, it's not going to work."  I still wanted the other side blackened a bit.  We also had thrown in some sausages just to make sure we would have enough meat and they got a little charred when the flames started.  Anyways, we took all the meat off at this point and let the meat "rest" again for another 5 minutes.  I then cut it into slices after removing the bone and all we could say was "wow!"  The outer part was charred a bit and looking almost black, but internally, the meat was all pink, I think they call this medium rare.  The taste was just great and Wife said we need to get more of those steaks for this weekend to do it again.  These tomahawk steaks are fairly new (I had never seen them before about 6 months ago) and they can be pricey, I saw $25 a steak at Sam's or something like that, but like I said, it is a big ole hunk of almost 3 pounds of ribeye steak.  It just works great on the grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment