Tuesday, March 31, 2020

3/31/20 Change?

    I hadn't been listening much to Adam Carolla lately, but he is still great and has such good insight.  On his last podcast I listened to for a few minutes, he was going on about change.  He mentioned how change is the biggest challenge to most people.  People would rather endure a crappy life with a known asshole and be treated less than human, than to be alone while they go through that period of change and find a new someone.  He mentioned about that time how the phrase goes "when God closes a door, he opens a window," and if only the person would wait a bit, they would be much happier with the change coming.  Asking contemplatively , "does it ever work out, going back to what you know, the same old person you broke up with?  Hardly ever.
    He then went on to describe Ice Cube (the actor) growing up in the rough parts of LA, but (Mr. and Mrs. Cube, a little joke) wanted their boy going to a better school, so he was bussed in and out of the ghetto daily.  Is this what made Ice Cube the standout person he became, starting with his rap career and turning it into acting and everything else he has done?  Essentially, Ice Cube is a product of two worlds, he grew up street tough because of his neighborhood, but his parents also sent him to a better school to give him an advantage which he used.  This is the part I liked the most as he was breaking it down.  We are now in a time of change, kids are going to be learning through online classes, could we take this farther and maybe instead of getting the same shitty teachers from the proverbial hood, could students be lined up with better educators online?  Would this necessarily cost more, if a class lecture on fractions or cellular division is recorded and taught as a master class for all, wouldn't that possibly be cheaper in the long run?  I know that not all classes can be taught with a lecture only, there has to be a chance for students to interact, but this is where if we accept change, then some things can be done differently.
    Wife mentioned something in passing about testing that I thought interesting.  They have cancelled some of those STAAR tests or whatever the acronym is now since the students are not getting the proper class time, so the recommendation from above is to just teach.  I think this can be a great opportunity for the teachers that complain about teaching "to the tests", well, this is your chance to make the teaching your own and do what you do without the constraints of teaching so the kid can do well on whatever tests are coming.
    I am experiencing my own change, we only have to stay at work until we finish whatever work is there for the day.  Last week I was home before 1:00am on three of the four nights.  I was almost able to sleep like normal, at night, and then be up during the day.  I say wow, what a difference.  I think this is why I had so much more energy to work on my backyard, getting my patio cleaned up, hanging the lattice I had bought about a year ago, and even draining and cleaning the hot tub.  I know this is not permanent but it should last possibly into the summer, which I am hoping can carry me into getting some projects done, get me moving around more.  So far, other than the fear of dying from the dreaded disease, I am loving this new world we are living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment