Thursday, March 26, 2020

3/26/20 No Rest For This Fat Boy?

    As I said, it was really awesome hanging out at the house with my boys and wife all last week.  For the first time in a long time, we ate at the dinner table together almost every night.  Well, all good things come to an end and by Monday of this week, I was due back at work by around 8:00pm.  Wife and my mom both texted and called at about the same moment when they heard the governor say that come Tuesday he was going to place us under a "shelter in place order".  I got a little excited at the thought of being forced to stay home another week or two by force.
    I figured well, maybe I'll have to go work Monday night, just to keep myself honest.  I then called our director so I would get the info from the top and she was so quick, it left me spinning.  She said we are a manufacturing facility and because of that, we are exempt from shutting down.  We are to keep working as normal.  It hurt a little bit, but I get it.  I had built it in my head that I would get the same time off that my peeps have.  We are pretty much prepared to live a week to a week and a half isolated in our house, now that we have our new deep freezer.
    Later, once I was at work, I managed to talk to one coworker and she said that we are pretty much going to follow what Cypress is doing.  Cypress is the big fab that used to be Spansion.  Unless they change their rules, we will continue to work.  I guess if corona shows up in the clean room, then they will re-evaluate.  She said something about the big fab companies all complaining to the governor about not shutting down, these would be Cypress (old AMD), Samsung and Freescale (old Motorola).  I guess this is a good time for them, as they all tend to cycle up and down as far as running at capacity.
    I don't get it though, as far as calling us essential manufacturing.  We don't make anything helpful in fighting the virus, we are simply trying to make money, I guess we do support other companies that could be doing the Lord's work.  Either way, I always work alone at night and add to that, I am wearing gloves and we are supposed to wipe everything down with alcohol and wipes, so I feel like my work area is not going to make me sick.  My biggest worry is going to the bathroom because everyone uses it and we are not gloved up at that point.
    Still, if I can help it, I will try not to hang out where the masses hang out, that means no coffee, and I guess if I finish all my work, I might get out of there before the dayshift shows up, although I guess I should go in a little earlier to do that.  I am so glad I only work four days one week and three days the following.

No comments:

Post a Comment