Monday, March 30, 2020

3/30/20 Eating During Corona?

    Man, I know most of you are normal families, you get to eat together in the evening, everyone is together at some point during the day.  For me, it has been a new and much welcomed silver lining in this scary time we are going through.  Wife is home at least for about the next month, Javalina is home because all schools are closed, my mom says probably through the end of this school year, and because Boy lost his job when he did, I don't foresee him getting hired during this downturn, which as long as he is cool and not trying to get ahead of himself (ie, get married or have a kid) I don't mind having home with his Sweetie.  Basically, I just explained the long way that everyone here is stuck at home, and I kind of like it.
    What I like the most is the getting together to eat.  Wife is here and making meals daily, usually with a late brunch consisting of some eggs with sausage or bacon or some other warm cooked meal which is awesome.  In the evening, Boy and Sweetie have been taking turns with Wife on the cooking dinner.  Last night, Boy and Sweetie made chicken in a sauce with red bell peppers and quinoa on the side with fried rolls.  I had been complaining because they seem to want every meal to be some sort of Asian inspired meal, so most of the meals have just a tiny amount of meat.  I mean their stuff is good, but sometimes Daddy just wants a big ole hunk of steak, not the steak cut into slivers and what would be one steak for me turned into enough for 4 people, Boooo!
    Then we had Whataburger Saturday night.  Javalina and I love eating there, normally we eat there once a week, but we hadn't eaten there in probably three weeks.  I wanted burgers on Saturday and we have patties but they were frozen, so we went out looking for places that would be open.  We got lucky or so we thought when for once, there wasn't a long line at our local Whataburger so we ordered burgers for all of us.  First off, Javalina and I eat for less than $20.  Ordering for Boy and GF plus us put the tab over $50, for fast food takeout.  Then they got the order all sorts of wrong, we wanted mayo, got mustard, Wife wanted fries, got onion rings, I said no pickles, they all had pickles, wife hates diet coke, she got diet coke.  We won't be doing that again, plus that food does not travel well at all, the burgers got soggy from their own warmth and the skinny fries get cold.
    I think I will stick to home cooking, even when Wife just makes sandwiches/subs, she uses those big buns and cuts them in half and toasts them, then we get an assortment of ham, turkey and cheese or whatever we got in the fridge.  It all seems better than $50 takeout.  I don't usually cook but even I made breakfast last week, I made pancakes which are very easy with the right powder that we just add water.  Javalina participates by washing the dishes most nights, so it has been a real family time and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment