Saturday, March 21, 2020

3/21/20 Wild Wild West?

    I feel like we have been thrown onto this raft and the raft is just flowing in a mad river down the  line.  I didn't want to spend money on a freezer, but I found myself buying an expensive big one.  Ok, you say "you're stupid, Mando, you are over reacting."  But, what if they do enforce some sort of martial law and we can't leave the house?  What if the gov't tells the stores they must close their doors for a couple weeks if their employees start becoming sick?  I must first worry about the safety and well being of my boys, make sure they have food to eat, I can always make up the money and cost later.  Anyone can say "they won't close the stores!"  But a couple weeks ago no one would have guessed they were going to extend spring break for at least three weeks.
    So the next thing once you have stocked yourself and made yourself a fat mark, you must have the means to protect your little love nest and that is where the trip to Cabela's came in.  I know we have a number of rifles and assorted guns, but I have always wanted a smaller .410 shotgun.  It is technically a shotgun, which will shoot ammo with pellets, or slugs.  It being the smaller of the shotguns makes for a shotgun with hardly any kick back and hopefully, if wee ever have to discharge it in the house, we won't be left deaf by the noise.  I was trying to have the discussion with Boy who takes care of all our guns, but he is so squirrelly.  It took him a minute to divulge that the 12 gauge shotgun I thought we had is over with his cousin.  Last I remember, my father in law gave the shotgun and a 30-30 rifle to Boy who has always had a love for guns.  I am not sure if we are getting the shotgun back or not, but it sure made me feel like I might need to just consider buying two shotguns.
    I hate being so judgmental, but standing in line to talk to the gun salesmen I couldn't help but notice that about half the people looked like responsible adults with jobs and responsibilities and the other half was tattooed from neck to fingertips and looking like they had no business even being in the gun section of a store.  I have the good fortune of having Boy who knows enough to answer my stupid questions, when he s not being condescending, but some of these people were asking and saying stupid stuff while purchasing guns.  One guy quietly asked me why are there so many different guns with different barrel lengths?  I said I wasn't sure but generally the longer the barrel, the more accurate the gun is.
    The biggest problem was that too many people have had the same thought and so the store was really bare of anything I might actually like to purchase.  Boy then looked to get more ammo for the guns we already have and said there wasn't any ammo in the common sizes, which is what our guns come in.  I am not giving up on this idea, although I won't be taking Wife with me next time.  I showed all the patience of a sloth crossing the street for her when we needed to get a new car and encouraging her that I didn't care about the price, I wanted her to feel safe, a couple days ago, she sat there like a two year old needing a nap and attacking me not to spend too much and not to buy this and that and these people are stupid.  She did not make it a pleasant experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment