Wednesday, March 18, 2020

3/18/20 We Bought A New Ride? (2 of 2)

    I was not a big fan of the Kia Soul, initially.  The plan was she was going to get a cheap one, some were going for as low as $13,999.  She would then run this car for about 3-4 years while she worked out of town in La Pryor.  If she put 200,000 miles on it, it wouldn't matter because the car was super cheap.  But then she found the one loaded with leather and panoramic sun roof and A/C in the seats and even a steering wheel that warmed up and she found her car.  This cheap car was something like $26,999, almost double what our plan was, but she had clearly made her choice once she saw it.  We had just got Boy his Edge a couple months before so now we had two car payments totaling almost $1000.  That was sine I figured, Boy will finish college and I will be able to get a vehicle, I still had the Excursion and the old white F-250 to drive.
    Anyways, the Soul grew on me, it was tiny and a little hard to get into, but it was also convenient in that it fit anywhere.  It was never a problem finding a parking spot.  I just wish it would have lasted a couple more months to get us past these attempts at refinancing, but this is life.  Last year, Wife noticed the Telluride from Kia even before I did and she had already decided what her next car would be.  I did not want to like it more than the Ford lineup, but it really is a good looking vehicle.  On top of that, when I wanted to push for the new Ford Explorer with the 400HP blah blah blah, Car and Driver (the magazine) tested them and a few other SUVs and the Telluride came in 1st while the Explorer came in 4th, which makes it hard to defend it.
    The biggest problem had been getting our hands on a good looking one.  We went in there a few months ago when they first came out and they couldn't get any.  Then they would only have 1-2 and they were usually black, which I feel there are too many black vehicles on the road.  When we showed up yesterday with Wife's newest service engine light, there was a truck there just delivering something like 16 brand new Tellurides or they had a few and the total on the lot in the morning was 16.  I was like a kid in the candy store looking at all of them, the manager even said if I could please wait on going inside them, the keys and all other stuff hadn't been accounted for and they needed to check off everything before they were released to the dealership.  I said fine, but I found the nicest one I could with the moss colored body (sort of a dull green) and the leather inside was some sort of mocha, way different than the either black or light cream that was in all other examples.  Add the black 20" rims, panoramic sun roof, AWD, A/C in the seats and all the other options and I knew which one we were taking.  Wife just wanted AWD and the HID lights.
    We knew we were going to get shafted on the trade and we did, but at least we hung in for one round and increased the valuation from $6,000 to $9,500, when we owed $12,000.  Yes, we are paying like $900 a month now, but we got rid of a problem vehicle, and at least we didn't settle for whatever car, Wife is driving what she wanted.  I can't imagine we will be paying for Boy's Edge in 3-6 months, he has to get another job soon, so we will be fine.  BTW, by the end of the day, I only saw like 3 of those Tellurides left on the lot, from the 16 in the morning.  They go fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment