Monday, March 2, 2020

3/2/20 Trying To Rest, But Here's Some Guilt For You To Eat?

    The last few weekends were jam packed.  If we go back three weekends, my folks were here and I do enjoy having them here, it always means we run around to the mall and to eat and all the other fun stuff you would do if you were visiting a large city.  They left Sunday and kind of early, I had one of my first band rehearsals.  That came and went, along with the stress of meeting new people and doing a whole new thing, for me, at least.  Practice ended, I realized I could still read music, but I needed to practice some of the harder sections.  During the week, nothing much changes, with work and having to pick up Javalina after school.  The only big difference is that Track and Field started and he loves the shotput.  He knows it is a mental game of strength and technique, he is trying to master it since 7th grade.
    Two weekends ago he had his first official track meet in Dripping Springs.  It was cold and the wind was biting, but they went on with it.  Even as spectators, after being out in the elements for 4-5 hours, all we wanted was to get inside and get comfortable with a nap.  Even Javalina is beat and wants nothing to do with hanging with friends or anything, he just likes to decompress in his room quietly.  As it was, Sunday that weekend was my first concert, so that was a stressful event, I had to buy new clothes to look respectable, I even decided to wear a tie.  The concert went off about as well as it could have, I really wish my folks would have attended, but I know it is a good drive and at least my in-laws came, so I still had a pew full of people cheering for me.
    This Saturday again was another Track And Field Meet, this time at St. Andrew's School, some private school with again another beautiful campus.  During the week, we had to go up and down emotionally with Javalina as he saw new sophomores and juniors practicing with them, he being a freshman was sure he was going to get bumped off either discus or shotput or worse, both.  By Thursday, he got even better news than he could expect, his coaches told him not to worry about that, and the varsity guys basically moved him from back-up discus thrower to starter.  They told another kid to go kick rocks.  They said they preferred working with Javalina because he was always there and he had the right attitude and worked hard in the gym.
    I was able to get Boy to go with me, it was nice.  It is in situations like these that we can actually talk and joke around without him running off to his room or his GF.  We were out there from 9:00am until almost 2:00pm by the time they were done with shotput and then discus.  Wife was busy all day with a couple college courses she is taking, so she was gone all day.  We had already planned and talked about just getting some food and staying in Sunday and not leaving the house.  Wife was smart enough to stop on her way home after class and got stuff for dinner Saturday and meat for BBQ on Sunday.
    When I finally think "ahhhh" a nice quiet day to relax, my mom calls me out on FB about spending more time with my folks, they won't be around forever, kind of a morbid message considering I see her as strong as a moose who still goes and works at the school, for free.  Yeah, my dad is starting to look like the Crypt Keeper a little bit, but he himself doesn't seem to like anything at times.  I thought it was a bit unfair, considering we had just seen them three weekends ago, she is already planning to come visit next week and I had told her we were going down for at least 4 days on Spring Break.  I love my folks but Javalina has tournaments we aren't going to miss, Boy is on his own schedule and we at least see him by being home, at least while he lives with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment