Friday, March 13, 2020

3/13/20 Track And Field Meet On A Thursday? (1 of 2)

    Why can't life just be easy?  I can handle the track and field meets on the weekends, even if Wife is busy with her classes, but no, they decide to throw one in during the middle of the week.  I was hoping he would throw first and be done early, but no.  That would be too easy.  First of all, he had no idea whether he was supposed to show up at school or at the track meet.  He made some calls and a couple of his goofy friends told him to show up at the stadium, Burger Stadium is kind of their home stadium, which is at least the closest of places to have a big meet like this was.
    He was a little upset on Tuesday and Wednesday when the coaches said they would be putting in ringers.  I hate this, but apparently there were some extra juniors that the coaches put on the JV squad to help the team win.  I get the idea of winning, but I don't like that my kid shows up and works hard at it only to get booted out of the way for naturally bigger, more experienced boys.  Wife and I were looking at the clumsier looking one with hate and he goes and releases the shotput on the wrong foot and barely threw 20 feet.  Wife and I were like "what the fuck??? This idiot doesn't even know what he is doing."  I guess it was just a warm-up throw because his next throw was clearly impressive and near the 40ft line.  That shut us up.  There was another husky kid throwing for our team and the same thing, he about threw 40ft warming up.  Mijo is just not there, yet.  He can throw maybe 32ft as his best, but I haven't seen anything farther, yet.  We sat and watched most of the JV throwers, there was a good shady place for us to sit.  Since I had worked the night before, I just leaned back and before I knew it, I slept for an hour.  Wife woke me to tell me our boy was leaving to go to the discus ring on the other side of the football field.
    It was kind of a mess.  There were people working to keep some order, and I get that.  The high jump, pole vault and other jumping things were in a fenced area and we were told to keep to the left of that.  But the discus ring was on the right of this area.  We decided it would be best to go get the Excursion and park along the fence right next to the discus ring as a few other parents had done.  We then had to go threw and finish watching the JV girls followed by the Varsity girls discus throws to finally get to the JV boys around 12:30pm.  It got a little rough when the sun got high enough to go around the Excursion and beat down on us.  Luckily, I found an umbrella in the back and Wife's chair has a built-in shade which she can draw up.

No comments:

Post a Comment